TZHunter

Staining Thin Straps Quickly

I'm making a few binocular holders that have lots of 3/4" straps over shoulder, under arm etc. As I made my first one I realized, I'm spending lots of time staining and re-staining all these 3/4" straps. IS THERE A QUICKER WAY TO STAIN THESE THAN TEDIOUSLY USING THE WOOL DAUBERS ? I've used an air brush on large projects, but with small straps I waste more dye spraying than I get on the straps. Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, TZHunter said:

I'm making a few binocular holders that have lots of 3/4" straps over shoulder, under arm etc. As I made my first one I realized, I'm spending lots of time staining and re-staining all these 3/4" straps. IS THERE A QUICKER WAY TO STAIN THESE THAN TEDIOUSLY USING THE WOOL DAUBERS ? I've used an air brush on large projects, but with small straps I waste more dye spraying than I get on the straps. Thanks in advance!

maybe you can air brush them before you cut them into straps, put them side by side to air brush or  buy pre dyed leather

I dip dye about everything, it’s quick simple and pretty consistent color!

Dip dye. 

Not individual straps, but do a piece wide enough to cut several from, say 6 inches wide. Dip dye and let soak, then afterwards cut into 3/4" strips

Dip dye? I guess that means you have lots of dye in some receptacle? I thought I had a lot when I bought a quart instead of 4 oz !

Do you just dip in fairly quickly, let drip dry, then lay out to dry? Then pour dye back in bottle or container? Sorry dip dye was new to me.  THANKS!

1 hour ago, TZHunter said:

Do you just dip in fairly quickly, let drip dry, then lay out to dry?

I leave the strips in the dye and stir them around at least 3 times, making sure that I get full coverage, then I leave it in the dye for at least 1/2 hour to get full penetration. Then I hang it up to dry. I leave whatever dye is left in the container (I use a large jar) for future dipping.

I do just about the same as LatigoAmigo but I use tray. Actually a stainless steel oven tray.

I should point out that I thin my dye, about 2 water to 1 dye, or 1 water to 1 dye. ~  I'm not very consistent  :rolleyes2:

I wet the leather, not too much, before placing it in the dye.

As you're doing straps, they can be loosely coiled and put into a small bucket or large jar of diluted dye.

I do the dip dye similarly except I like to use 2 bottles with lids. I drop the product into the bottle with the dye and give it a shake to get the air out of the leather quicker and then pour the dye carefully into the other bottle and then drop the product out onto some already laid out paper towel. I then quickly wipe over the surface to be sure not to get any dye accumulation spots. I let them dry out on top of a new lot of paper hand towel flesh side down. Like @fredk said, I also thin down the mix a fair bit depending on the colour and strength required.

I use Fiebings Pro Dye (not water-based). Should I still dilute?

Seems most of you that dip are using water-based dye. 

Or can I still dip dye using Pro Dye full strength?

Thanks !

No . . . do not use full strength.  And don't do like some folks here . . . don't dilute Pro Dye with water.

Feibings makes a thinner . . . use it.  Thin the dye 50/50.  I pour the dye out of the 4 oz bottle, . . . into a larger container . . . then pour the thinner into the dye jar and swish it around to collect all the surface dye off the inside of the bottle.

I then pour the thinner in with the dye . . . shake it good . . . you then have 8 oz of dye that will do the job.  Been doing it that way for over 10 years . . . never had a problem but one time . . . tried the suggestion of using water as a thinner . . .  was one of the dumbest things I've done in the last 20 years.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 5/22/2020 at 9:13 AM, Dwight said:

tried the suggestion of using water as a thinner . . .  was one of the dumbest things I've done in the last 20 years.

I’d say you’re doing pretty well then... I’ve been a whole lot dumber than that more than once in the past two decades! :rofl:

A good way to dye without using an airbrush or daubers is to use a damp sponge. In a pinch, I cut the corner off of a dishwashing sponge and use that. 

Place two strips of masking tape, sticky side up, on the table, and tape them in place.  Or, get damp paper towels and lay them in a cookie sheet.  Either way, line up the straps close together and press lightly onto the tape / towels to hold them still and minimize wasted dye.