Gulrok

How to store belt blanks

Hi Folks. 

We've been selling more belts, and we're going to soon place an order to bring our inventory very high. The issue I have is that i'm not sure how I should store sooooo many belt blanks. Space is relatively limited. Any advise / storage solutions you've had??

Edited by Gulrok

Put up a length of washing-line. Before you do thread it though the finger parts of bulldog clips so the jaws of the clips are a right-angle to the line. Then you just use the bulldog clip to hold the belt strap by one end, hanging down. Easy to get the strap on and off. Assuming each bulldog clip is about 1/2 inch wide then you can get about 24 straps hanging to the linear foot.

I punch a hole about 1cm in from one end. Choose the scruffy end if there is one, that you would trim off anyway. Then put a cord through and hang them up out of the way somewhere. If you have lots of belts, just do several bundles - segregate them according to width, colour, etc.

This, and Fredk's method means the belts relax and straighten out if they've been rolled up for shipping, and makes them easier to work with. For this, and any other leather storage, do it somewhere out of strong sunlight

3 hours ago, Gulrok said:

Hi Folks. 

We've been selling more belts, and we're going to soon place an order to bring our inventory very high. The issue I have is that i'm not sure how I should store sooooo many belt blanks. Space is relatively limited. Any advise / storage solutions you've had??

If you are talking about only storing the strips meaning without any buckles, keepers and hardware I've found that you can store large amounts in a small area by coiling them together into cardboard boxes and you can go 10 or more layers high on top of each other. Quite a few boxes can then be stacked on top of each other.Just be careful not to make the ones in the middle to tight. I usually leave a hole no less than 8".

5 hours ago, zuludog said:

I punch a hole about 1cm in from one end. Choose the scruffy end if there is one, that you would trim off anyway. Then put a cord through and hang them up out of the way somewhere. If you have lots of belts, just do several bundles - segregate them according to width, colour, etc.

This, and Fredk's method means the belts relax and straighten out if they've been rolled up for shipping, and makes them easier to work with. For this, and any other leather storage, do it somewhere out of strong sunlight

Definitely another good option. I've been sure to put a clean rag over my rolled belts currently. To keep them stored, I use to roll them, grain side out, and use a rubberband. Wasn't a happy camper when I found that they had a rubberband line. Now I have been rolling them flesh side out, and covering the box with a cloth. Seems to have worked. But I only use it for belts of the same type. Now we have .... well somewhere closer to 36 different straps. 18 different leathers at 1.25" and 1.50". ( 8 buffalo, 5 domestic english bridle, 5 UK english bridle).

6 hours ago, fredk said:

Put up a length of washing-line. Before you do thread it though the finger parts of bulldog clips so the jaws of the clips are a right-angle to the line. Then you just use the bulldog clip to hold the belt strap by one end, hanging down. Easy to get the strap on and off. Assuming each bulldog clip is about 1/2 inch wide then you can get about 24 straps hanging to the linear foot.

I like the idea. Appreciate it.