nRIxtOO.jpg

I finished these moccasins today for my good friend, Brian Peterson. They are way too plain for my tastes but that's what he wanted so that's what I made him. I just hope they fit him well. I made them out of 8 ounce bison leather and used New Zealand red deer for the trim.

Darren

those are plain? Those are some of the nicest ive ever seen. Beautiful work!

Well done. I'll be making a similar pair for myself soon. I have a rather severe case of Morton's Toe, my foot print is more like that of a Yeti. Only footwear I've found comfortable were a pair of moccasins I had many years ago and a pair of USAF survival moccasins I found at a Surplus store about ten years ago.

The survival moccasins have two lift out thick felt insoles per moc and a thick removable insulating liner. 

The other pair I mentioned had Elk hide soles so tough a tack couldn't penetrate , the point of a tack curling over if stepped on.

I've read that the plains Indians steam treated the hide from a buffalo hump till it drew up and swelled to at least three inches thick. Shields made of this hide could stop a ball from a .44 Army Colt C&B revolver.

Those have a quiet, understated elegance to them. Nicely done!

Great job on the moccasins - I really like the design and the rustic look of the leather. I have made a couple of pairs for myself and wear them almost everyday. They are the most comfortable shoes that I own.

I would have thought that 8oz would be a little heavy, but if it works it works. I may have to try some buffalo for my next pair... Do you use some type of insole? If so what do you use? I tried using a removal insole, but that did not work for me, so I glued mine in permanently...

On 5/24/2020 at 8:57 PM, K5HEP said:

Great job on the moccasins - I really like the design and the rustic look of the leather. I have made a couple of pairs for myself and wear them almost everyday. They are the most comfortable shoes that I own.

I would have thought that 8oz would be a little heavy, but if it works it works. I may have to try some buffalo for my next pair... Do you use some type of insole? If so what do you use? I tried using a removal insole, but that did not work for me, so I glued mine in permanently...

My sole consists of a layer of bison for the outer sole, a 1/4" thick piece of neoprene foam glued to that, and then another piece of bison glued on top of the foam. That gives your foot some cushion but you can still feel everything under your feet.

Darren