DaveP

Granite pieces

Going to try some carving and stamping.  Looking around at what folks were using.  Didn't really want to spend too much money on a piece of granite.  Drove by a custom counter top shop. Stopped and asked if I could buy a piece of cut out or scrap.  After I explained what I wanted it for he showed me his dumpster.  He said take what I want as he has to pay to have it hauled away.  I offered again to pay,  he said no. Then I went into his dumpster...this is what I have now. Very nice smooth pieces. Never hurts to ask!!

20200522_125832.jpg

If that doesn't hold up to the pounding, go to a shop that makes grave markers. Their stuff is a lot thicker and holds up well. They usually give away their mistakes, or cracked pieces.

They are almost 1 1/2" thick. You don't think it'll hold up to stamping ?

Nice find.

LOL Unless you're stamping with a jack hammer, I think those are going to hold up just fine. Depending on where you put them, you might find those smaller pieces are a little bouncy.

I did the same as you. Went to a granite counter top place, asked to buy cut outs and was gifted with a really nice piece of 1 1/2" granite.

In one of my, ah, darker moments I thought about buying my headstone, having one side engraved with everything  but my departure date and using the other side for tooling and stamping. LOL

Regards,

Arturo

4 hours ago, DaveP said:

They are almost 1 1/2" thick. You don't think it'll hold up to stamping ?

I've broken granite that size while stamping basket weave and large lettering on heavy leather. My current slab is 2 1/2" thick. 

Our local counter top guy recommended that I use quarts over granite in that it will resist dropping a hammer on it better than the granite.  If you notice when digging through the pile a lot of the countertop material will have a fiber backing on it to help prevent cracking.  The more stable materials do not have the backing.

Some people buy granite surface plates.  These run about 3 inches thick and are precision ground for use as a sandpaper foundation to sharpen wood tools and such.

Scootch

I'll try it out until it breaks.  Then look for thicker stuff.  There's a couple headstone cutters in the area as well. 

12 hours ago, DaveP said:

I'll try it out until it breaks.  Then look for thicker stuff.  There's a couple headstone cutters in the area as well. 

Dave, I did the same thing.  I went and got granite sink cutouts. He gave me all I wanted. He had a pallet full so I backed up and took what I could load. I got maybe 20. I took my wet saw and squared them up and got them to about 16 inches square. I’ve not broke one yet if I do I have 19 more to go. I put mine on a rubber mat to protect the bench also help absorb the shock. It’s a very dense mat made for cutting on. 

Edited by DomsLeather

I was thinking about putting rubber on the bottom as well.  I have some 1/8" think walkway rubber to glue on. 

I got a gravestone from a monument shop when I was working out of my house.  It was a beautiful, intricate piece, red granite four inches thick, with winding flowers carved into it, and the name - I still remember - Codreanu.  Unfortunately, whoever had carved it had got the date of death wrong by ten years.  It was free, but it took three of us to carry it!

Edited by KristinaDRawlings

I did the same but and when I told him what I was going to use it for, he offered to 'clean up and round the edges' for $20.  It's a solid piece some about 22" long and about 16" wide.    Like others here, I'm going to use it until it breaks and then maybe hunt for the thicker stuff.   Having too much fun right now to even bother!  :yeah:

I have 2 pieces of granite about 3/4" thick, tile adhesive glued together. It's solid and I don't think I will ever break it. It's got strength from the grain running in different directions, just like ply wood.

Edited by Rockoboy
Grammar spelling

3 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I have 2 pieces of granite about 3/4" thick, tile adhesive glued together. It's solid and I don't think I will ever break it. It's got strength from the grain running in different directions, just like ply wood.

That's a great idea!

Found a nice piece of granite today.  Measures 25 X 19 and is just right for my cutting board.  It's only 1.5 inches thick so I hope it lasts.

I told the salesman what I was using it for and he didn't charge me.  Nice place.

Granite Slab.jpg

I talked to the guy who measured for my parents' new countertops about wanting off cuts. He's a family friend. He came back on a later trip with two of the old showroom sample pieces for quartz material they didn't carry anymore. They are around 12" square and 1.25" thick, with slightly rounded top edges, smooth sides, and a polished top finish. Both were free, since they were just sitting around and taking up space in the back of their shop. That size works well for the limited size of my work bench.

Well, being poor (or maybe just cheap) I went to the lumber store and bought a 16"X16" solid concrete block 4" thick for just a few bucks and covered it with a cutting mat from Wally World (glued it down with the contact cement).  So I have all the helpful measurements and angles that were on the cutting mat.  I only get to leather sporadically and not very seriously but the block has held up for about 6 or so years now. phil