11 hours ago, ScottWolf said:

I am very familiar with the MSDS ingredients, If I wasn't, do your REALLY think I'd reference them and provide a link to the MSDS? Do you know what ME Esters  or Tall oil fatty acids are? I do and if you took the time to look into what they are, you'd learn what they actually are and what part they play in making lexol what it is and it's given consistency. What's that saying about horses and leading them to water again?

I'll ignore the ad hominem attacks in hopes that maybe, you'll be open minded enough to do a little research for yourself, as I am not trying to be confrontational or "win" on the internet.  And who knows, maybe at some point I'll post exact recipes for making both leather conditioners and cleaners at home, using all natural ingredients.

IMG_8683.JPG

Okay, I can take a deep breath.  If you have exact recipes for cleaners and conditioners I would be happy to know about them.  If they are superior to some or all of what's out there, I will say so honestly.  All products have their pros and cons.

There are many natural or DIY recipes out there, as well as on the market.  Good.  Like you, I support the use of natural ingredients, or at least responsible ingredients, and reducing waste.  Some synthetic materials are superior to their natural derivatives, and sometimes a compromise yields the best results.  I would rather use the lab-made spermaceti oil in Lexol, for instance, than to have whales getting slaughtered for it. 

I myself have gathered information for making DIY versions of products out there: Tokonole, Fil Au Chinois, how to turn veg tan into bridle, turning veg tan into pullup leather, alternatives to synthetic bag stiffeners, glazing fluid, leather forming/stretch liquid, leather stiffener, burnishing products and tools, as well as a tool set created from three household items, etc.  Fortunately, most of these can be done using exclusively or predominantly naturally-derived.

I intend to make these open-source as well, and encourage you to do the same.  This indistry and hobby has too much information that is hard to obtain. 

This is getting pretty far afield from OP's questions.  I contributed to what OP can do for this project, though I don't actually see any other prescriptions written out for OP.  DIY products could have their own post(s).

8 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

That document's properties indicate that it's from 2015. When you look at this Safety Data Sheet from the Lexol website, updated in June of this year, you'll see that it is formatted quite differently. "Ingredients" are on page 12. Hope you find this informative.

SDS_Lexol_Neatsfoot_Leather_Conditioner_US_en_2020_06_09.pdf

Lexol-Conditioner-SDS.jpg

This is not unusual, as you will find MSDS will vary from country/region to another, as the laws and requirements vary or change, that's why you will see some MSDS with nothing noted sometimes for one country/region and others with more information, such as % of the product used, etc.

In this case, we are seeing a further defining/identifying of the ME esters and Tall fatty Oils that were mentioned in the version I posted.Despite the word "oil" being used often in these ingredients/ substances columns, what it really is, is an ester or a Saturated/unsaturated fatty acid, EG: Sulfated sperm oil, is actually a liquid wax and isn't obtained from rendered whale blubber as many assume. In this case, it's a synthetic version(chemicals) often used as a surfactant, dispersant and or emulsifier for the neatsfoot oil in the product ( or what ever oils are in the product). These component ingredients are also what gives products like these that creamy or thicker "feel" to them vice a pure/straight oil by itself.   As mentioned, this newer document(s) goes so far as to include the word "neatsfoot" in the title and on top of every sheet of the MSDS, which in its self , makes the message they are trying to send pretty clear IMO. 

That document's properties indicate that it's from 2015. When you look at this Safety Data Sheet from the Lexol website, updated in June of this year, you'll see that it is formatted quite differently. "Ingredients" are on page 12. Hope you find this informative.

This is not unusual, as you will find MSDS will vary from country/region to another, as the laws and requirements vary or change, that's why you will see some MSDS with nothing noted sometimes for one country/region and others with more information, such as % of the product used, etc.

In this case, we are seeing a further defining/identifying of the ME esters and Tall fatty Oils that were mentioned in the version I posted.Despite the word "oil" being used often in these ingredients/ substances columns, what it really is, is an ester or a Saturated/unsaturated fatty acid, EG: Sulfated sperm oil, is actually a liquid wax and isn't obtained from rendered whale blubber as many assume. In this case, it's a synthetic version(chemicals) often used as a surfactant, dispersant and or emulsifier for the neatsfoot oil in the product ( or what ever oils are in the product). These component ingredients are also what gives products like these that creamy or thicker "feel" to them vice a pure/straight oil by itself.   As mentioned, this newer document(s) goes so far as to include the word "neatsfoot" in the title and on top of every sheet of the MSDS, which in its self , makes the message they are trying to send pretty clear IMO. 

Does anyone know how to seal dye on roughout or suede? Veg-ta then dyed with water-based dye. I'm thinking about trying some Carnauba cream or acrylic based finish on it, but not sure how it will affect the roughout.

14 hours ago, brainmonster said:

Does anyone know how to seal dye on roughout or suede? Veg-ta then dyed with water-based dye. I'm thinking about trying some Carnauba cream or acrylic based finish on it, but not sure how it will affect the roughout.

It will ruin the nap if you use carnauba cream or wipe on acrylic.  You might be able to spray acrylic.

I recommend using Tarrago Nano Water and Stain Protector, which is a spray, or any other non-silicone containing spray sold as a waterproofer/stain protector.