I'm making a thick belt with two layers of leather.  If I just sew the inner liner will buckle or form bubbles if curled inward- so I need to glue it. I've used barge cement before but it is getting difficult to find.  What about some other glues? Shoe glue? Elmer's?

Not knowing your location is going to hinder the best source for Barge products. I will assume that you are in the USA. Try Springfield , Weaver, and Tandy. Weaver has the best selection and price . From 2oz up to a gallon. 

i've used PVA, regular wood glue, with good results on some dog collars. the weldwood contact cement was bleeding through the thin liner.

zonker

My worry with contact is you have to line it just right.  Wood glue -I've used and I've dampened the outside of the leather and it held but if I really soaked the leather it would fail.  Barge- traditional favorite but I noticed the formula changes some time back. I'll probably use Gorilla Glue-original formula.  I've thought about shoe goo- if if could be thinned down- might be good.

Try this Renia Aquilim 315 Cement.  It is a contact cement that is water based and does allow just a little movement as you place the pieces.  I have not had any problems with items coming apart.

Todd

8 hours ago, Davm said:

My worry with contact is you have to line it just right.  Wood glue -I've used and I've dampened the outside of the leather and it held but if I really soaked the leather it would fail.  Barge- traditional favorite but I noticed the formula changes some time back. I'll probably use Gorilla Glue-original formula.  I've thought about shoe goo- if if could be thinned down- might be good.

Best way to glue liners, in my opinion, is cut the liner oversize, glue it to the top leather, then trim the edges.  Pretty easy.

Gary

On 5/28/2020 at 11:53 AM, Davm said:

Be careful with gorilla glue.  I've noticed it expands out of my seams and causes issues with dyeing/burnishing edges.  YMMV

On 5/28/2020 at 8:08 PM, garypl said:

Best way to glue liners, in my opinion, is cut the liner oversize, glue it to the top leather, then trim the edges.  Pretty easy.

Gary

Second this.  If the belt is 1.25", cut the liner 1.3"-1.4".  Well worth it in the long run.