Josh Ashman

Officer Model 1911 "Rhodesian" Type Clone with Basket Stamping

to the best of my knowledge Thad Rybka came up with the "Rhodesian" style holster that is a favorite of 1911 guys. Certainly, I'm a huge fan of the holster style in general and of Thad's work in particular. While no where near an "exact" copy this little OM holster is heavily influenced by the basic Rhodesian design. I've added a retention strap and basket stamping as this is a holster for my Dad for Father's Day and he's a fan of both. 

Built out of HO 8/9 Crafts man and dyed with Fiebings Pro Oil black thinned down with iso alcohol. Heavy coat NF oil then topped with M&G mixed 50/50 with water. Kiwi neutral for the final buf and to make it smell like a holster and not a freshly cleaned floor :) 

Have a great day everybody! 

IMG_20200527_075515840.thumb.jpg.75399a5fdd63e0d073d864f545e8ddc5.jpgIMG_20200527_075534687.thumb.jpg.7b442df2478187ef8cb6390b398c642d.jpgIMG_20200527_075653194.thumb.jpg.0653eaaab0fcfb0c9a96fb02f4043a23.jpgIMG_20200527_075725423.thumb.jpg.5d10d90f39858b043c0501f751891cec.jpgIMG_20200527_075821988.thumb.jpg.dd8a8bc94639906ab202e10053f3abe6.jpg

That is right tidy so it is.  :thumbsup:

and thanks for all that info on its construction and finish. If anyone but a leatherworker were to read it they'd be totally confused, it reads like a secret code! :lol:

Excellent work.  I'll have to rethink my pattern for this type of holster.  Very slick.

cool design I like the double stitching

That's really very nice indeed !! 

I'm a new guy...HO, does that equate to horse leather? If so well done. I use a a custom holster made out of horse. So not to absorb as much sweat as cow hide I was told. 

Edited by DaveP

1 hour ago, fredk said:

That is right tidy so it is.  :thumbsup:

and thanks for all that info on its construction and finish. If anyone but a leatherworker were to read it they'd be totally confused, it reads like a secret code! :lol:

Thanks Fred! I may be guilty of typing in secret code :) 

1 hour ago, sideforce said:

Excellent work.  I'll have to rethink my pattern for this type of holster.  Very slick.

Thanks Sideforce! 

58 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

cool design I like the double stitching

Thanks Chuck! By the way, I'm still up to get a pair of elk antler grips for a full size 1911 from you if you ever have a set up for sale. Shoot me a message anytime on that! :)

30 minutes ago, DaveP said:

That's really very nice indeed !! 

I'm a new guy...HO, does that equate to horse leather? If so well done. I use a a custom holster made out of horse. So not to absorb as much sweat as cow hide I was told. 

Thanks Dave! In this case HO is for "Hermann Oak". They are my favorite tannery to use for cowhide skirting or tooling leather. I have used horsehide several times and do generally agree that it is less likely to absorb sweat. After recently "molding" a horse holster it seems fair to say that it barely absorbs water at all even if dunked and held under for 20 seconds. :) 

Just for fun (it's not possible to hijack your own thread is it?), here's a pic of the horse holster I recently molded. the rig is something I made for myself years ago, but with a "Commander" sized holster. I'd been meaning to make a full size (Govt. Model) holster for it for a while and put it back in use and finally got around to it. So, the mag pouch, back center piece and straps are all from back when, just the holster is new. 

Chuck, this Kimber would be the likely recipient of those elk grips should that work out. :)

Have a great afternoon folks! 

IMG_20200508_075742824.thumb.jpg.74bbdd815236dce27e30d99f6effda95.jpg

3 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Just for fun (it's not possible to hijack your own thread is it?), here's a pic of the horse holster I recently molded. the rig is something I made for myself years ago, but with a "Commander" sized holster. I'd been meaning to make a full size (Govt. Model) holster for it for a while and put it back in use and finally got around to it. So, the mag pouch, back center piece and straps are all from back when, just the holster is new. 

Chuck, this Kimber would be the likely recipient of those elk grips should that work out. :)

Have a great afternoon folks! 

IMG_20200508_075742824.thumb.jpg.74bbdd815236dce27e30d99f6effda95.jpg

They would look great on that fine piece of iron! I will see what I can dig out of the antler pile for ya. I'll get in touch here in a few days. 

Really like that "Rhodesian"!  I'm sure your father will be proud to own that.

Nice work on the Rhodesian.  The shoulder holster looks well executed as well.  

Both holsters look great, very nice work.

Slick work on both as usual.

WOW Very nice work very nice!

Hi

Both are nice looking rigs.  I have a question though.  When I first looked at the thread, I "knew" that was a Threeperson's Holster.  I don't see much difference between the Threeperson's rig and the Rhodesian rig.  What's the difference?  Tom Threeperson's designed the one named after him.

Later

Thanks Samalan! 

Hello Mike,

A "Threepersons" holster is folded around the "front" or "top" of the pistol with the main seam on the "bottom". They also have the trigger guard exposed and a closed "toe". It's great design and I build a fair amount of them. I've pictured one below. The "Rhodesian" is folded around the "bottom" of the pistol with the main seam running along the "top". This makes a nice built in sight channel. The trigger guard on a "Rhodesian" is covered and the "toe" is open. At least that's how I understand it. :) 

Josh

024.thumb.JPG.b8ccdaf6b6a840afd3cab4edb15871d4.JPG

Thanks, I see the difference now.  Both look great by the way. 

I'm learning how to do the Serpentine tooling for a cowboy money belt and possibly for the holster also.  I have Will Ghormley's Law Dog holster plans to work from.

Later

Thanks Mike! Good luck with your money belt project! Post some pics when you get it done.

All the best, Josh

On 5/27/2020 at 11:56 AM, Josh Ashman said:

to the best of my knowledge Thad Rybka came up with the "Rhodesian" style holster that is a favorite of 1911 guys. Certainly, I'm a huge fan of the holster style in general and of Thad's work in particular. While no where near an "exact" copy this little OM holster is heavily influenced by the basic Rhodesian design. I've added a retention strap and basket stamping as this is a holster for my Dad for Father's Day and he's a fan of both. 

Built out of HO 8/9 Crafts man and dyed with Fiebings Pro Oil black thinned down with iso alcohol. Heavy coat NF oil then topped with M&G mixed 50/50 with water. Kiwi neutral for the final buf and to make it smell like a holster and not a freshly cleaned floor :) 

IMG_20200527_075515840.thumb.jpg.75399a5fdd63e0d073d864f545e8ddc5.jpgIMG_20200527_075534687.thumb.jpg.7b442df2478187ef8cb6390b398c642d.jpgIMG_20200527_075653194.thumb.jpg.0653eaaab0fcfb0c9a96fb02f4043a23.jpgIMG_20200527_075725423.thumb.jpg.5d10d90f39858b043c0501f751891cec.jpgIMG_20200527_075821988.thumb.jpg.dd8a8bc94639906ab202e10053f3abe6.jpg

I like the heck outta this one.  Beautiful job!

On 6/11/2020 at 1:46 PM, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks Samalan! 

Hello Mike,

A "Threepersons" holster is folded around the "front" or "top" of the pistol with the main seam on the "bottom". They also have the trigger guard exposed and a closed "toe". It's great design and I build a fair amount of them. I've pictured one below. The "Rhodesian" is folded around the "bottom" of the pistol with the main seam running along the "top". This makes a nice built in sight channel. The trigger guard on a "Rhodesian" is covered and the "toe" is open. At least that's how I understand it. :) 

Josh

024.thumb.JPG.b8ccdaf6b6a840afd3cab4edb15871d4.JPG

Great looking holster
Slim,Trim with a minimum amount of Leather with a FBI cant.

I wonder if this design would work well as a cross draw holster with a lot of cant  without the retaining strap ?
Curious whether the design with no support for the trigger Guard to rest on whether it would do the Job or maybe a Slim Jim type with at a bit of the guard resting on the leather might hold a Colt SAA clone with a 4 3/4 inch barrel ?

Hey Craig,

I've built more than a few of these in a crossdraw for customers and they've been quite happy with them. I don't however have any personal experience to share. I would recommend adding a hammer thong if you removed the strap just for insurance that the pistol would stay put for the long haul. 

The thing about building one and seeing for yourself what you think about it is that if it isn't 100% perfect the first go around you can adjust what you don't like and get it on the next try. 

Good luck on your holster! Post some pics when you get it done.

All the best, Josh

Beautiful holster. Did you use a pattern or just come up with it on your own? 

Also, What protects your thread for the belt loop on the inside of the holster? 

How does your strap attach? 

Thank you

3 hours ago, JWheeler331 said:

Beautiful holster. Did you use a pattern or just come up with it on your own? 

Also, What protects your thread for the belt loop on the inside of the holster? 

How does your strap attach? 

Thank you

Thanks JWheeler!

It's my own pattern. the belt loop gets sewn before the holster is folded over and assembled. After the loop is sewn I wet the stitching on  the inside of the holster and on the outside of the loop and pound the stitches with a smooth face hammer. I use a little CS Osborne hammer called a "shoeing" hammer, I think they are for cobblers, not sure. Anyway, pounding the stitches sets them in the leather enough that I'm not concerned about wear to them. The strap goes through a slot in the top of the belt loop and is riveted just below that. 

All the best, 

Josh