Josh Ashman

Officer Model 1911 "Rhodesian" Type Clone with Basket Stamping

3 minutes ago, Josh Ashman said:

Thanks JWheeler!

It's my own pattern. the belt loop gets sewn before the holster is folded over and assembled. After the loop is sewn I wet the stitching on  the inside of the holster and on the outside of the loop and pound the stitches with a smooth face hammer. I use a little CS Osborne hammer called a "shoeing" hammer, I think they are for cobblers, not sure. Anyway, pounding the stitches sets them in the leather enough that I'm not concerned about wear to them. The strap goes through a slot in the top of the belt loop and is riveted just below that. 

All the best, 

Josh

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty new to holster making and so I like to see all the different ways of doing something. Does the rivet on the strap go through to the inside of the holster? 

On 10/2/2020 at 11:46 AM, JWheeler331 said:

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty new to holster making and so I like to see all the different ways of doing something. Does the rivet on the strap go through to the inside of the holster? 

You're welcome. :)

These progress pictures of some "Threepersons" holsters I built show how I this style of retention strap. In the first pic you can see the slot and rivet hole. I try to put the slot just "forward" of the top of the belt loop fold, the rivet hole is roughly 1/2" below that. In the second pic you can barely see the rivet in the center holster which has been sewn. As noted, the "Threepersons" and "Rhodesian" holsters themselves are different in several ways, but I build the retention straps for both holster types the exact same. 

All the best, Josh

001.thumb.jpg.10a97788f1c6753acbfcbf7eccd83bae.jpg002.thumb.jpg.8e2234e7c4f97c8cf3ef33a1589dbdfa.jpg

On 10/5/2020 at 11:09 AM, Josh Ashman said:

You're welcome. :)

These progress pictures of some "Threepersons" holsters I built show how I this style of retention strap. In the first pic you can see the slot and rivet hole. I try to put the slot just "forward" of the top of the belt loop fold, the rivet hole is roughly 1/2" below that. In the second pic you can barely see the rivet in the center holster which has been sewn. As noted, the "Threepersons" and "Rhodesian" holsters themselves are different in several ways, but I build the retention straps for both holster types the exact same. 

All the best, Josh

001.thumb.jpg.10a97788f1c6753acbfcbf7eccd83bae.jpg002.thumb.jpg.8e2234e7c4f97c8cf3ef33a1589dbdfa.jpg

Thanks.