LiftPig

Radio Bucket and Strap

The bucket is for the BK-CMD that Cal Fire was just issued.   Strap is 1.5", about 8 ounce, tapered down to 3/4" on the buckle for those who like to wear their buckle behind them (don't have to sit against a giant buckle).  The leather piece with the T post is removable with Line 24 snaps so it's more comfortable to wear.  Critiques welcome, please.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded photos

i like the addition of the belt swivel. I never particularly cared for the unfinished look of jiffy rivets over a double cap rivet, but also for a cosmetic perspective, the peen/ridges of the jiffy rivet may chew up the surface of the back of the radio over time. All in all good work!

4 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

i like the addition of the belt swivel. I never particularly cared for the unfinished look of jiffy rivets over a double cap rivet, but also for a cosmetic perspective, the peen/ridges of the jiffy rivet may chew up the surface of the back of the radio over time. All in all good work!

Do you know how tube rivets compare to double caps for strength?

13 hours ago, LiftPig said:

Do you know how tube rivets compare to double caps for strength?

I dont have any specific stats to cite from, but at least through my own observation, the double cap is mushrooming itself against another piece of metal with a wide surface are as opposed to a jiffy rivet mushrooming itself against the leather alone. That said, I use copper rivets for my connector points for straps, and double caps where the shear/stress forces are minimal by comparison. 

JerseyFirefighter, I'm assuming from your handle that you're in the business, too.  I didn't want to use the Rivet/Burr combo since they're so big, and really an overkill for these.  But you're as aware I am that firefighters are hard on their things.  I don't trust sewing and glue alone to hold things together that need to be structural and might be subjected to heat, solvents, high stress, and other nasties.  I'd prefer the cleaner look of a double cap, though.  I might make some test pieces and pull them apart with a come along and see what fails.

These are pretty nice.  I've had bad luck with double cap rivets, they don't always set right for me and I've had them pull apart.  Others seem to have pretty good experience with them and say they hold well.  I like solid rivets myself.  If you stick with the solid rivets, you could consider adding a thin liner over the rivets to protect the equipment, similar to a holster.

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

I've had bad luck with double cap rivets, they don't always set right for me and I've had them pull apart.

I used to have that problem until I got myself a rivet setter. Since then, no problems at all!

Edited by LatigoAmigo

20 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I used to have that problem until I got myself a rivet setter. Since then, no problems at all!

Which setter do you have?  I've been looking at various models.  I'd like something that can set double caps, tube rivets, and line 20/24 snaps without crushing the hell out of them.

49 minutes ago, LiftPig said:

Which setter do you have?

I settled on this one from Campbell-Randall. The price was fair, and I liked the way the lever works... you can really control the pressure. Keep in mind that the dies come separately. I use it for double-capped rivets and snaps. I got those dies from Ohio Travel Bag where they sell a wide selection.

https://campbell-randall.com/product/italian-twist-press-no-3

https://ohiotravelbag.com/

TWP-3.jpg

I recently purchased a press as well, from KamSnaps, and it dramatically improved my ability to cleanly set snaps.  I have the dies for the double cap rivets, but haven't tried it out yet.  I think I wrote up a post about it, and that I preferred the older style dies to the new ones, as they had sent me both.  The customer service was top notch.

YinTx