Annie977

Keeper mould / form Amish made loop blocker

Not sure if anyone has seen this tool on the Arizona Belt Company page - wondering if anyone has one or would know where to get one?  35thStep.jpg

That looks homemade to me.  I have a similar setup, not as permanent.  I use two angle irons in a machinists vise, with a loop iron on the bottom, and another on top so I can press from all 4 sides.  I always meant to have a dedicated jig welded up, just haven't done it.

Wouldn't mind seeing the homemade setup. We don't need to do this many at once but doing them individually is fairly inefficient. I usually do them by hand...

2 hours ago, Annie977 said:

Wouldn't mind seeing the homemade setup. We don't need to do this many at once but doing them individually is fairly inefficient. I usually do them by hand...

your picture is of a home one, take the pic to any decent fabricator and they could make one in short order.

12 hours ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

That looks homemade to me. 

The bent nail welded to the nut (for a handle) might be a bit of a giveaway?;)

7 hours ago, dikman said:

The bent nail welded to the nut (for a handle) might be a bit of a giveaway?;)

Yeah, that and the sloppy welds.

I find several things about this gadget and the reference to it amusing.  The most obvious is despite the loops obviously being in the press, and the wordy description of their belt making process, their loops still aren't blocked in the end product. They could get the same result without the press.  Lots of pretty marketing hype throughout the site.  

And of course there is the reference to the origins of the press.  I could go on all day about THAT subject based on years of personal experience, but lest I start a huge pissing match, I will refrain.

Edited by BigSiouxSaddlery

21 minutes ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

I find several things about this gadget and the reference to it amusing.  The most obvious is despite the loops obviously being in the press, and the wordy description of their belt making process, their loops still aren't blocked in the end product. They could get the same result without the press.  Lots of pretty marketing hype throughout the site.  

And of course there is the reference to the origins of the press.  I could go on all day about THAT subject based on years of personal experience, but lest I start a huge pissing match, I will refrain.

Could very well be gas welded Which would be harder to look good on small things like nuts, I don't quite understand how an Amish made tool that obviously wasn't made for resale would end up in Arizona but the Amish do leave home at times I've heard. But like you I don't see how the jig is helping form a blocked loop at least from that picture. I also like the comment on putting the loop closer to the buckle because of modern pant loops, seems its just a way to use less rivets and takes one step out of the belt making process, cheaper,  easier. But if you want to know how the average belts are made then its all right there nothing out of the ordinary that I can see as you said just hype. A nice rectangular piece of hickory or oak that fits the loop tightly and a bit of hammering to form the sides on a wet loop let it dry and its blocked.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

A nice rectangular piece of hickory or oak that fits the loop tightly and a bit of hammering to form the sides on a wet loop let it dry and its blocked.

Yeah, the Real McCoy method!!

Harness makers do press loops from all 4 side with a loop iron inside, steel last longer than wood with heavy use) to get a very firm loop with 4 very well defined corners.  When you consider that a team harness can have two or three dozen slide loops, it's cost prohibitive to block each one up individually for common harness.  If it's a show harness costing many thousands of dollars per harness, then there's more room for individual attention to each loop.

It's not out of the question for an Amish made contraption to have ended up in AZ.  There are leather equipment sales and people do travel from all parts of the country to attend, Amish included.  Some of those Amish are tool and machinery traders.  They are almost as mobile as we are, especially if someone else is paying for the fuel.

I have a set of loop irons I bought at a auction  a few years ago, I have never used.  I would let them go for less than what I paid for them.

12 hours ago, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

Exactly - I thought I must be missing something but you just confirmed it.......I hadn't. A heavy weight atop may help but you'd still need to address the steel staining  amongst a few other things....

I did think there was a lot of...fluff...on their site. Also agree that the equipment is ~imperfect. We don't make belts - only need the keepers for purse straps and love the blocked loop look. I put some in the minimal tack I make for personal use (mostly because I like to play at making it).

Definitely be interested in seeing the set you might sell @Ken Nelson.

On 5/30/2020 at 3:16 PM, Ken Nelson said:

I have a set of loop irons I bought at a auction  a few years ago, I have never used.  I would let them go for less than what I paid for them.

Interested also if OP passes

Edited by BigSiouxSaddlery

I will see if I can get these loaded>    1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 1/2. and a rack to hang them on.  I bought these at an auction at Clark, SD several years ago.  Estate auction of a harness maker.

100_1943.JPG

100_1942.JPG

I do like those...think we'll hold off though. Can't quite see needing the quantity or variety atm.

Thanks!!

4 hours ago, Ken Nelson said:

I will see if I can get these loaded>    1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1, 1 1/8, 1 1/4, 1 1/2. and a rack to hang them on.  I bought these at an auction at Clark, SD several years ago.  Estate auction of a harness maker.

100_1943.JPG

100_1942.JPG

Are they the thin irons?