Hello everyone,

I've been trying a number of leather glues recently and my favourite so far is Ecostick 1816B: it dries quickly, clear, and strong, without the odor of the solvent-based glues. I find it easier to use than Barge cement (and no fumes). That being said, I'm struggling to find a decent glue for gluing a zipper (fabric) to leather. What do you guys normally use? The catch is that the zipper is being as the closure for a zipper stationery case, so I need to be able to glue both sides of the zipper to two different leather pieces. For reference, the zipper stationery case is of this style: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/559862096/leather-zippered-5-slot-pen-case-leather

Thanks in advance.

Edited by matcanada

In the past, I always used contact cement (Barge). However, with my last zipper install I used double sided tape. It turned out to be much easier, quicker, and cleaner. You might want to give it a try to see if it works for you.

Second the double sided tape, as it’s less faff than using glue.    Definitely worth giving it a go, it might suit you.

I use double sided Venture tape that is sold by Wawak.com. I believe it is made by 3M and comes in 60 yard rolls, in these widths: 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" and 1". This tape is very aggressive and has good hold on leather. I even use it to secure patches to be sewn over pockets on Biker's vests as well as for securing zippers for sewing.

On 5/30/2020 at 1:44 PM, matcanada said:

Hello everyone,

I've been trying a number of leather glues recently and my favourite so far is Ecostick 1816B: it dries quickly, clear, and strong, without the odor of the solvent-based glues. I find it easier to use than Barge cement (and no fumes). That being said, I'm struggling to find a decent glue for gluing a zipper (fabric) to leather. What do you guys normally use? The catch is that the zipper is being as the closure for a zipper stationery case, so I need to be able to glue both sides of the zipper to two different leather pieces. For reference, the zipper stationery case is of this style: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/559862096/leather-zippered-5-slot-pen-case-leather

Thanks in advance.

I do a similar construction as per the zipper attaching and I do think that trying to use the tape method around the corners would not work very well in this type of product. There is a fair bit of tight folding around those corners and a contact glue helps to keep every thing tight and in place. I have converted a hand operated glue applicator to have a thin brass spike in order to give me good control when putting the glue down onto the zip. I will attach a some pictures below  that may help to understand better -

The glue gun on the right shows the standard version and the one on the left I have removed the brush and put in a thin brass tube which gets covered with a piece of stainless brake line tube to keep the glue from drying out between uses.

DSC08070_resize.JPGDSC08071_resize.JPG

This picture shows the product about to have the zip put on with a 3d printed jig in place to assist in keeping the spacing correct.

DSC08080_resize.JPG

This shows the zip in place and then it gets reglued and then tapped down with extra attention to the corners, before the outer cover is put into place

DSC08086_resize.JPG

Outer cover now ready to be stitched with the jig removed

DSC08091_resize.JPG

DSC08099_resize.JPG

DSC08107_resize.JPG

Hope that this helps some

As usual Brian you show how you make beautiful purses or handbags and this is what you do for a living.

Thank you.

Bert.

3 hours ago, Bert51 said:

As usual Brian you show how you make beautiful purses or handbags and this is what you do for a living.

Thank you.

Bert.

Thanks @Bert51 Mostly I like to feel I am helping some along the way.

reg. zipper - Renia Aqulim SG sounds like a good idea too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXzY13T1rqI

For UK readers; I use UHU glue, then sometimes I stitch as well, but often I don't bother

edited to add. I've only used zips on the pockets inside bags, never used them as the main closing on anything

Edited by fredk