DaveP

Basket weave stamp questions

Which one would be best for a new to stamping tools and work? So far I've only made a few sheaths.  Plain with no decorations. I'd like to start adoring my projects.  

Thanks again for the help!

David 

Basket weave stamps need to line up precisely, so quality makes a difference there.  Barry King makes some nice basketweave stamps.  Not cheap, not super expensive, but worth what you pay.  Tandy is not up to snuff, nor are the Chinese stamps.

- Bill

Thank you Bill.... I'll look at his.

Check out Montana Leather. I just bought a set of basket weave stamps from them and am very happy with the set. Four different sizes.

Thanks AZShooter 

I'm going to echo Bill. He's dead on the money. This is one place you don't want to cut corners. Precision counts in the stamp and the way it's applied.

I've read advice directed at novices that "basket weave stamping is a great place to start leather crafting." And it might well be but it's also probably driven people using cheap stamps away from leather work out of sheer frustration. It damn near did me.

This is not one of those, "any tool in the hands of a master craftsman will make it look good" situations. Poorly made stamps are mushy don't line up. And then nothing lines up.

There are some great tool makers out there but my choice, like Bill's, is Barry King. I think it's good value for the money. If you ever get a chance, take a quality stamp and compare it to a cheap stamp of similar size. That'll tell the whole story with a couple of mallet taps.

Regards,

Arturo

Good advice Arturo. I'm going to look for a better stamping tools!

You don't have to pay silly prices like Barry King,  Sergey Neskromniy makes first class stamps at a more reasonable price

Yes, Sergey makes some fine stamps and some very unique ones but apples to apples here, Sergey's stainless steel basket stamps run at around $32.00 US and King stamps of similar size in stainless run at around $55.00 US.

Sergey's estimated shipping time to the US is three to five weeks. Don't know if that time period includes the five day order processing time. Whenever I've purchased anything from King it shipped the same or following day.

I'm not sure what kind of duties, if any, would apply in the US. If you're not in a hurry and the duty thing isn't a problem, chrisash's recommendation is worth looking into.

Regards,

Arturo

Edited by Arturomex

I own Sergey, Barry King, Robert Beard, Wayne Jueschke, Hackbarth and others.  Wayne Jueschke , in my opinion, makes the best basket stamp! That said all the above make very good stamps!  Barry probably has the best choices of different styles and sizes, some are more expensive than others, but you get what you pay for.   Buy the best you can afford and happy stamping! Thanks Rodney 

Edited by Northmount
Edited to remove certain remarks that seem to inflame others

45 minutes ago, chrisash said:

Thats a hell of a statement. Made in the USA is only as good as the manufacturer makes them, some are first class, some average and some things down right poor quality, just the same as any country manufacturing. plus consumer laws around the world would in some cases appear far stronger than the USA

I know the US likes to blow its own trumpet but the forum does have a world wide audience and hearing the above can piss some of us off as belittling our own countries

Ok,  Huff over

@chrisash I see your point, however at this time @Rhale is mostly right when it comes to new tooling stamps for sale.  Bob Beard and Wayne Jueschke both make hand-made tools with the price tags that go with that(WAY beyond my budget, so I can only speak to their reputation)!  Barry King tools are semi-mass produced and still very good for the price.  Sergey Nescromskey (spelling?)  from Romania also makes good tools, and the ones that I have are good, but there are not many "traditional" tools in his catalog yet.  The stamps out of Asia are mostly sub-standard by all accounts, but that may change in the future - they are catching up on other types of tools!

In the past, there were some good tooling stamps coming from other places, but those are not available new anymore sadly.  

As for other types of leatherworking tools, there are few left anywhere that mass produce with decent quality.  The best right now come from those that hand-make these tools, and most of the world is represented with these!  The old mass-producers are mostly gone, and those that remain are a shadow of what they once were in terms of quality (in particular thinking of CS Osborne in the US, and Vergez-Blanchard in France).  

PS - If you ARE going to purchase tooling stamps from Barry King or Sergey Nescromskey - be sure to use the links at the top of the page and give Leatherworker.net some love!

Also, if you're interested in used stamps check out Bruce Johnson's banner ad above as well!

- Bill

Please lets not fall out over this

in my not so humble opinion - buy the best tool you can afford from a maker with a good and proven history of quality, where-ever they may be located. 

One of the main things to look for in a stamping tool, especially a basket-weave, is that it gives a sharp impression. I have Tandy ones. They are moulded and the moulding has softened over the years and then they are coated with chrome plating which softens the impression even more. I/you can get a result from them but a better tool gives a better sharper basket weave look.

I've bought from this Czech chap. Excellent quality. Speedy delivery. Just three days to my letterbox. At a very reasonable price. Amongst the tools I've bought from him is a square shaped basket-weave stamper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/007designer007/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

I've not bought from this chap yet but I'm tempted to do so

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=tuningstarltd&item=264685930097&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbasket.TRS0&_nkw=basket&_sacat=0

It suits me, especially in the pocket to buy out of Europe. If it wasn't for shipping & handling charges plus customs duties I would be tempted to buy from Barry King or someone similar (an item I bought a couple of years ago cost $19, but when other costs got added on it ended up at $65)

2 hours ago, fredk said:

Please lets not fall out over this

in my not so humble opinion - buy the best tool you can afford from a maker with a good and proven history of quality, where-ever they may be located. 

One of the main things to look for in a stamping tool, especially a basket-weave, is that it gives a sharp impression. I have Tandy ones. They are moulded and the moulding has softened over the years and then they are coated with chrome plating which softens the impression even more. I/you can get a result from them but a better tool gives a better sharper basket weave look.

I've bought from this Czech chap. Excellent quality. Speedy delivery. Just three days to my letterbox. At a very reasonable price. Amongst the tools I've bought from him is a square shaped basket-weave stamper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/007designer007/m.html?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2654

I've not bought from this chap yet but I'm tempted to do so

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=tuningstarltd&item=264685930097&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbasket.TRS0&_nkw=basket&_sacat=0

It suits me, especially in the pocket to buy out of Europe. If it wasn't for shipping & handling charges plus customs duties I would be tempted to buy from Barry King or someone similar (an item I bought a couple of years ago cost $19, but when other costs got added on it ended up at $65)

I’ve also bought tools from the Czech chap too, and can’t fault the tools in any way.    Good quality, fast delivery, and at a reasonable price.

Looking at the stamps in your 2nd link, I feel a need to spend some money.......

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

11 hours ago, Rhale said:

Maybe the UK has some good manufactures of tools I don’t know but I do know the Most of the USA made stamping tools are excellent quality!  Why don’t you post the quality made stamping tools that are made in the UK? Thanks Rodney 

I agree friend I don't know why anyone would get in a huff especially when you didn't state anything but they are "usually better made". You made no statement that should belittle anyone nor their country. easy to settle however as you said if they have good tools in their country post them and be just as proud of them as we are of our countries manufacturing capabilities. Personally I think most of the substandard leather tools are outsourced from one country in particular and we all know what country that is. What we can all agree on is that you will definitely get what you pay for buy cheap tools and you get cheap tools its that simple and there are people willing to sell you cheap tools in every country.

Thanks Chuck, I appreciate the kind words!  I was just trying to pass on my recommendations from  60+ years of leatherCrafting.  I meant no offense to any person or country just stating my opinion from years of experience and using many different brands of stamping tools.  If that hacks someone off so be it but personally I don’t care if it pisses off the Queen!

If people can't behave properly here, I will start issuing warnings which can lead to you having all your posts moderated or have you blocked.  Let's keep this site informative and peaceful.  I have hidden a number of posts here to try to moderate this thread.  More badmouthing will not be tolerated.

Tom

It's Amazing how everyone Bad mouths Tandy Tools both of these Belts were Done with tools bought from Tandy . So maybe it's not the tools it's the person using them. 

AACD5D4F-32A6-40EB-BA24-E977A9874BE4-9978-00000E621CBB8956.png

AEE376D4-0702-408D-843F-2CA62571B269-9978-00000E629A47CC75.png

Very nice tooling. Remember it's not the bow it's the Indian that makes the difference.

basketstamps_doublerope_lg.jpg

basketstamps_bar_lg.jpg

These are off Barry Kings website.  From looking at your hobbies I don't think affording his tools are out of line if its your priority.  I have both of these and they burnish well and have nice detail.  If you are making smaller items like wallets, belts, scabbards then you'll want the smaller stamps.  I guess it depends if you want to run the diagonal or stragt but I think you need a stamp sized to where you can get at least 4 rows of stamps without bordering stamps interfering with the pattern.  To me, anything less than four rows the pattern doesn't really have a chance to develop.

Here's and example of the three bar.  Excuse the antique.  I think I used a little too much.  I wish this stamp was a size smaller.  This is a 1.5" belt.

Scootch

IMG_5794.jpg

Edited by Scootch

On 6/1/2020 at 8:35 PM, wayner said:

It's Amazing how everyone Bad mouths Tandy Tools both of these Belts were Done with tools bought from Tandy . So maybe it's not the tools it's the person using them. 

AACD5D4F-32A6-40EB-BA24-E977A9874BE4-9978-00000E621CBB8956.png

AEE376D4-0702-408D-843F-2CA62571B269-9978-00000E629A47CC75.png

yup we all have to remember the old masters made most of their tools. There was a time when tools couldn't be bought good or bad. I have no problem with Tandy tools but some of the new cheapo Chinese made knock offs are useless. Those are nice belts!

It is not the tool,  It is the person using the tool 

I would like at this time to introduce you to a TRUE MASTER CRAFTSMAN. who is using old hand tools

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

It is not the tool,  It is the person using the tool 

I would like at this time to introduce you to a TRUE MASTER CRAFTSMAN. who is using old hand tools

cool video!

That is what I call a tradesman, a very clever person using no modern tools.

Bert.

check out his other videos,  Grandpa got it going on !!