2Hill

Tandy Tools - How old is OLD

On several threads about tools I have been reading. It has been mentioned that the old Tandy Tools were a good starting set for a beginner. But the newer ones were junk and should be avoided. I have a set from the late 1970s early 1980s that I have not used yet. Since I am considering doing some stamping on one of my next projects I am now wondering I my set falls into the "Old" or the "Junk " group. Can someone help me out here please.

It's my understanding that in general, the oldest Tandy / Craftool - the ones with just a number and no letter are the best. From the 1950's & 60's are best.  In the 70's and at least most of the 80s when they started adding the letters, they were still good.  It's mostly in the 90's on that they started to decline significantly.  Until recently, modern Craftools were considered bottom of the barrel - but over the last few years with Chinese tools that bend the first time you hit them the Craftools are starting to seem a little less junky!

When thinking about tools, consider that the quality of some is much more important than others!  Things like basketweave and geometric stamps that REALLY have to line up correctly are more fussy than some others - so keep that in mind!

Your tools should be just fine - but in time you may find that you want to upgrade some of them - the ones that are most critical and the ones that you use most!

- Bill

I agree with Bill,  upgrade when you see you are going to stay with the hobby,  buy the best you can afford,  you can always get most if not all your money back! Craftool Co. marked tools with just a number are usually the better craftool and early ones, then Craftool Co. with a letter before the number.  Then Craftool Co. USA,  the earlier the better in my experience!  None of the craftool compare to the modern high end stamps such as Barry King, Robert Beard, Hackbarth, Wayne Jueschke, Etc.  But they will get you experience and get you started, upgrade when you can. Rodney 

Thanks bliiybopp and Rhale.It looks like I didn't luck out then. I just went through them. And except for the Snap fastener I got shortly before Tandy closed their Australian store. They are all marked Craftool Co. USA. Oh well at least now I know before hand I may have a struggle ahead of me till I can upgrade. Especially since it was the Basket Weave I was eyeing off. Looks like there is going to be Lots and Lots of practice in my future before I even think about stamping the project itself.

Hey go ahead and make some things,  the basket stamps you have will work fine, get good working with what you have then upgrade when you can,  learn the craft then get better equipment like anything else!  I made a lot of things using the same tools you have in the past.  It’s beginners type tools as Tandy’s tools have been for years and will probably continue to be.  Don’t be concerned to much about the tools until you learn the basic craft, enjoy your new found hobby it can last a lifetime!  Enjoy Rodney 

I am still going to be using the basket stamp I am just going to put in a bit more practice than I had originally planned on to get to know it's quirks first.

1 hour ago, 2Hill said:

I am still going to be using the basket stamp I am just going to put in a bit more practice than I had originally planned on to get to know it's quirks first.

Good going!  The stamps you have might not be as good as the ones in the distant past, but the ones from the 70s and 80s are still better than the ones that Tandy sells now.  Even the new ones are OK to get started with and learn from - as you figured out, it'll just be a little harder to keep things lined up but you can overcome that with some practice and some adjustment.   When you figure out which ones are most useful to you, you may want to buy better quality to continue on with - it'll just be easier to work with 'em!  That's what I've done and it works for me.

- Bill

One trick for basket weave I read on here is if you are having trouble keeping things straight mark your tool so you are always using it the same and not rotating it. 

I can attest to Barry King being better than current Tandy. I started with Tandy Pro basket weave stamps and did ok, I recently bought a Barry King.  The first thing I noticed is it does not take as much concentration and effort on my part to keep everything lined up.

Todd

Thanks for the tip Hildebrand. That is an interesting looking holster in your avatar. Is it a pancake type around a 686 S and W?

It is an avenger style around a Ruger Redhawk 45 colt. It is the first avenger pattern made from scratch. It works well but if I make another one I have several revisions noted on the pattern. This is a better picture.

Todd

44BCFDE0-527C-48CB-A403-7D0BCAFF97AA.jpeg

It's a very nice looking holster for sure. Now I have some more homework to do. Research Avengers style holsters.

While I have heard of them I have never actually seen a Redhawk in the flesh (steel?). But the grips reminded me of the 686's I have seen or used at the local range. In 357 only though, can't use a handgun with a calibre starting with a 4 for anything other than Western Action or Metallic silhouette out here and my range doesn't do Metallic silhouette.

Just stay away from the Craftool "Z" stamps.  As in Z P260. These are the bottom of the bottom of the barrel of Craftool stamps.  I have a set.  They won't ruin leather in my house if I can help it.  And I won't dupe someone else into buying it.  They are wrapped up and in the bottom of the drawer.  Might even make it to the waste barrel.

There are some special "Z" stamps,  limited runs that are labeled like Z260.  Same quality as standard Craftools, just they didn't make a bunch.

YinTx

Thanks for that YinTx . It looks like I will be pretty right. I do have one "Z" stamp. But it looks like it might be one of the specials you mentioned. What I have got is:

A-101  For some reason there are two of this one. There is only one of everything else.

B-203, B702, C-429, C-709, J-615, L-949, P206, P210, S-343, S705, U-710, U-855, V-708, V-748, W-553, W-561, X-534 and Z-460 ( I think this one was bought at a later date but am not sure). Plus a swivel knife.

Does this look like the basic starter kit or is something missing?