teejaysee

Making a pen case?

To be clear: I have no idea.  But I'm very curious as well, I've spent like 20 mins now zooming in at photos and I just can't figure it out.   My best guess is this is a single thin piece folded 7 times and pressed in some wood vice, and then unfolded and stitched like that on a backing.  And then edged very carefully

But I could be wildly off :)

Edited by Spyros

I can just make out a tiny inverted V shape at the lower ends of the uprights, just above the stitching.

I think the top part is made in three pieces; left, centre and right.. 

The left and right pieces each have one edge folded up, the centre piece has both edges folded up. The three pieces are glued together and the edges finished and burnished to hide the join. Possible that a stiffener was enclosed in the uprights. I don't think the uprights were made by folding the leather as those top edges don't have that look. Then top piece made of very thin leather was sewn to a thicker leather base. Again, possibly a stiffener was enclosed

The pieces could be glued together, then folded, then edges finished off. A former, or buck, could be used to wet fold the pieces over.

There are quite a few methods to make this piece

I think Fred is correct.  Look at the leading edge and you can tell there is a split, right where the "left side piece" meets the "center piece".  A thin metal shim could easily be glued in-between the leather to stiffen up the raised portion.  I think I would do it as it doesn't add any extra work really and will keep thee leather from getting floppy.  This maker is relying on glue to hold the leather together longterm, and in this case I'm sure it will be fine as there is really no stress on it.  Depending upon who buys the case, the black portion might never even be removed.  You'd only need to in order to clean the inside of the case from lint I suppose.

The navy colored piece, . . . the inner one, . . . definitely is a wet mold I would bet.

It is then placed in a two piece wooden mold and partially dried in it, . . . and removed for finish drying, . . . 

Then the two pieces are dyed, . . . cemented together, . . . edged, . . . and sewn.

Quite a bit of work for a place to park an ink pen, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

With more thought on this

I suppose that separator piece could be made in one piece but the leather would need to be about 1.5 mm thick, or less,  about 3 - 4 oz. Wet folded and moulded round a buck, or just clamped between a couple of blocks of wood, then a stiffener added to the uprights and then they are glued together.

I'm judging the thickness of the leather on the uprights by the length of the stitches which I think are under 5 mm each and the leather above that inverted V is thinner than that stitch, so maybe about 3 - 3.6 mm thick. If the stitches are smaller then the leather is thinner.

oh wow thanks guys for your replies! from the looks of it, it seems to be an item which uses quite a bit of leather!

maybe ill try making one next time when im more well-versed hahaha