Hi Folks, I hope this is in the correct section. I bought some Fiebings pro leather dye a few years back. I bought new leather dye this week I thought I ordered pro leather dye but the item on the right arrived.

Does anyone know if these items are the same? I've already two coats of the pro leather dye on the item I'm making but I'm cautious about using the new leather dye on the same product.

From what I believe the Pro Dye is alcohol based, I wonder is the basic leather dye water based and this could mess up my project.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1591041989419.jpg

@strykerleather Moved your post to leather dyes .... etc. 

Have you done a search in this area?  I have seen a number of posts/threads about pro dyes.  Take a look and see.

Tom

Both of those dyes are alcohol based.

The regular dye is like Kool-Aid: alcohol and then the color is some powdered pigment.  Because of this, when it dries it tends to leave a little un-absorbed dye on the surface of the leather.  No problem--just buff it after it is dry, or clean with saddle soap.  These dyes tend to dry leather out (imagine using too much hand sanitizer on your hands).  To counteract this, be sure to apply some conditioner (a light coat), such as Lexol conditioner or neatsfoot oil if you prefer.

The pro dye (which used to be called oil dye) is ALSO alcohol-based.  It is the new and improved version of the original dyed.  The main difference is that, instead of powdered pigment, it uses an oil-based pigment.  Think of it as ink.  Therefore it penetrates easier, and gives a more even coating.  Because the pigment is oil-based, the leather does not dry out as much as with the original dyes.  Indeed, it may leave the leather slightly softer.

Color-wise, they are virtually identical.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:12 PM, johnv474 said:

To counteract this, be sure to apply some conditioner (a light coat), such as Lexol conditioner or neatsfoot oil if you prefer.

Per the MSDS, Lexol conditioner is 5-10% Neatsfoot oil and approx 80% water(and other additives). While there is nothing wrong with using lexol/NFO, the idea after dying is to add back any of the fats/oils that the dying depleted. All natural ingredient conditioner will put those back, where as NFO simply makes the leather soft again, but is actually an oxidizer. Any of the many conditioners out there with natural ingredients like beeswax and natural plant oils (VOO, Castor , Coconut, Almond, etc)  will better condition and balance the leather's pH after a dying. 

Lexol MSDS Sheet: https://www.mws-d.com/images/PDF/2307286.pdf