Sign in to follow this  
Annie977

Virtual Arts/Crafts Fair????

Need help or at least a plethora of opinions.

A HUGE arts/crafts festival we paid for months ago has decided to change to a VIRTUAL ONLY format for their late July date. We have the option to either receive a full refund or use what we've paid toward the virtual format.

Here are our issues - it was fairly expensive for what we usually pay (almost $500); we sell high end bags (ranging from $45 for a crossbody to $285 for a larger tote-type bag); we feel that MANY other festivals/fairs will be available if we do decide to cancel. We are VERY concerned that the virtual format is not for us in anyway. People (in our experience) tend to buy waaay more if they can smell/touch and hold our products. On the flip side...it would be more online/social media exposure than we can ever generate on our own without paying considerably more than the booth fee. It is possible it could be enough exposure to really get us out there online...which we'd just plain love.

We'd love to hear ANY thoughts! (Even the bad ones :) ).

Thanks!

I reckon you said it; people like to touch your leather goods. Also they like to smell real leather. They also want to chin-wag with the maker, asking things about the bag or whatever and getting good answers.

'Exposure' on social media ain't as hot as some think or make it out to be. For just some of that money you can set up your own website. afaik Etsy and selling on facebook are free.

If I was in your position, I'd ask for that refund and tell the organisers - see ya next year

We really are leaning that way too. We have a website, facebook and Etsy (which is close enough to free). Driving people to those outlets was our thought process on whether or not the online 'push' via this virtual show would take the place of doing a different physical show. Feeling a lot like it might be very 6 of one, half dozen of the other :wacko:

I make plastic models. I usually attend shows to display them. In other times we have several thousand people attending those shows. This year the shows cancelled. Some tried a 'virtual' model show on the usual social media. Nearly all the 'virtual model shows' had no more than a few dozen look-ins. Some 'shows' had only the people showing the models.

yeeaaaaa.... NO.