bryan4christ

Can Anybody Tell Me What Type of Sewing Machine This is?

All I've been told is that its German Made......is it worth restoration?

IMG_1486.jpeg

IMG_1489 2.jpg

IMG_1487 2.jpg

This seems like one of those slippery slope kinda questions... I know this doesn't seem helpful, and completely NOT directly answering what was asked, but if you want it and the price is good for you, and you feeling putting in the sweat, go for it. 

Personally, I'd be all over it if the price was something I was comfortable with simply for the journey of restoring it. You may struggle getting replacement parts but there is a certain amount of fun in fabricating your own, hunting down an original, or finding a suitable work around. If that ain't you, I'd stay away. Me? I'd end up with a garage full of them trying to chase down some odd spring or arm.

The price is what would determine my answer. What is he or she  asking?  I would consider it if price is cheap.  Just my opinion.  Definitely a German made shoe patcher.

glenn

Yep, absolutely buy it !!!!! :thumbsup:   What a gem.  Its worth buying just for the stand alone. It looks 'regal' . Would be a shame to pass it up. 

Now close your eyes and imagine it restored?  Just the journey of restoring it would be a long one, and educational,  but man what a trip  :) 

HS

I would not buy it if it has no shuttle hook.

I guess it is a HENGSTENBERG made (or rebranded) patcher.

Bobbins can be reproduced but shuttle hooks for this type of patcher are 90% obsolete.

With some luck the modern CLAES shuttles fit but they cost new an arm and a leg and it´s not safe that they will fit at all.

There were literally dozens of different patcher hooks back then.

Just to give you an idea... See below list of "Elastic Shuttles" for patchers.

Or sell this machine to LW member SHOEPATCHER - thats probably the best bet!  ;)

EDIT:

see 3rd picture for a Hengestenber factory plaque

IMG_1787.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

hengstenbergplaque.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

Was this a special model for the expo ?

Very COOL !

Weltausstellung 1873 Wien

1873 Vienna World's Fair

The 1873 Vienna World's Fair (German: Weltausstellung 1873 Wien) was the large world exposition that was held in 1873 in the Austria-Hungarian capital Vienna. Its motto was "Culture and Education"

There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.

Thank you all.

Bert.

19 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I would not buy it if it has no shuttle hook.

I would !!  sorry to go against you  :)  I'm an optimist . I'd buy it just for the sheer beauty alone.  And if it has a bit of history to it...?  I'm no expert, but I doubt that one of these would come up very often.   Who's  to say that the part/s wouldn't  be available in the future ?  The challenge would be sourcing the parts. The reward would be getting it up & running , and the satisfaction  of using a piece of history   :cheers: 

Some people take many months or years to restore a piece of history. 

HS