Kolton45

Awl makers

Yes Paloma, It's the new design. 

HondoMan, I don't have any action on the Jerome sales, I don't proselytize and everyone makes their own choices.
However, if a steel is easy to polish, it's because it's soft.
Moreover, Blanchard is the old Brand, today it's Vergez Blanchard and steels are not the same. That they are hand forged has become a legend.

Here in France, we are looking for old Blanchard tools which are not the same quality.
I just found some old real Blanchards tools I have restored.

Decharge 28282020bis 355 [1600x1200].jpg

To finish, if a day you have occasion to try a Jerome's awl, you will anderstand, the leather becomes butter.

Mich'

Edited by FrenchMich

16 minutes ago, FrenchMich said:

HondoMan, I don't have any action on the Jerome sales, I don't proselytize and everyone makes their own choices.
Moreover, Blanchard is the old Brand, today it's Vergez Blanchard and steels are not the same. That they are hand forged has become a legend.

Here in France, we are looking for old Blanchard tools which are not the same quality.

To finish, if a day you have occasion to try a Jerome's awl, you will anderstand, the leather becomes butter.

Mich'

it is also for this reason that we can hardly find or have astronomical prices of the old tools blanchard, the new production is poor in quality and I know what I'm talking about I have old and new tools from home.

Prices don't seem to reflect poor quality though.

5 hours ago, FrenchMich said:

More one with Paloma. Now, I only use Jérôme David awls.

He's a good friend of mine and he just live beside. If somebody is interested, I can send his Awl with verygood prices.

20191117_120929 [1600x1200].jpg

It's not necessary to add sharpening or polishing or any finishing. It's ready for utilisation. It just need to scrub some time on sharpening strop with lapping paste.

Mich'

beautiful awls

Beautiful, but above all good, It work perfectly and there several wood species (ebony, royal ebony, olive tree, macassar ebony, snakewood, boxwood, amourette, yew wood and a lot of others)

50 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

beautiful awls

for me, the pleasure of working comes in large part from using beautiful tools because I feel like a duty to use them in the best way possible and because it contributes to the respect of the work I have in progress.

1 hour ago, paloma said:

for me, the pleasure of working comes in large part from using beautiful tools because I feel like a duty to use them in the best way possible and because it contributes to the respect of the work I have in progress.

I feel much the same The time taken to create a tool is just as important as the work it does. here are a couple tools I made for myself.

newawl3.JPG

skive5.JPG

16 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I feel much the same The time taken to create a tool is just as important as the work it does. here are a couple tools I made for myself.

newawl3.JPG

skive5.JPG

yes because the tool always leaves a little bit of its soul in the work in which it has participated,i think...

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

newawl3.JPG

skive5.JPG

Nice work that.

6 hours ago, FrenchMich said:

Mich'

I do the same always on the look out for old tools, but have to admit would not want a awl with a nice expensive haft/handle was taught to use the handle to push the needle through if its not playing ball,  but most of my work is with heavier leather 3/4mm plus sometimes two/three layers i mainly  only use  two awls both handles are pitted with needle holes. On Vegez Blanchard at least they are still making tools along with George Barnsley in the Uk although Barnsley tools are not as pretty to look at sure they will do the job. I need to get some portmanteau pricking irons ask one of my suppliers where there new line of pricking irons are made sadly they told me they had tried for five years to get tools made closer to home to no avail so they are made in the far east, now may have to bite the bullet and get them, but to give the company some credit they have saved many other companies attached to the saddlery/leather working industry in the UK.

Again nice work.

JCUK

Chuck,

I love your tools, really splendid.

Mich'

20 hours ago, FrenchMich said:

Chuck,

I love your tools, really splendid.

Mich'

Thank you.

I don't give a damn what a tool looks like but do care about how it performs and nothing wrong with beech handles

Has anyone analyzed the old so called excellent steel used on old leather goods and proven they are better than the 2020 steels, I personally believe its just old wives tales, I cannot think of anything that was better made in say the 1900-2000 than today

When a tool works well and that in addition he's beautiful, it doesn't spoil anything. I like working with beautiful tools which already have a story.

We could do an analysis, but it's not necessary. Without being a god of mechanics, the old Blanchard hand forged awls broke, the new Vergez-Blanchard awls bent it proves that the steel is less hard.

But like I wrote upper,  I don't proselytize. And it not necessary to be agressive. i think i will stop there

Edited by FrenchMich

I'm came here to share points of view with craftsmen of country of Cowboys. But if it's too much complicated I'm leaving where I come from. I have a few of very good contact in USAand I can satisfied myself of that.

2 hours ago, chrisash said:

I don't give a damn what a tool looks like but do care about how it performs and nothing wrong with beech handles

Has anyone analyzed the old so called excellent steel used on old leather goods and proven they are better than the 2020 steels, I personally believe its just old wives tales, I cannot think of anything that was better made in say the 1900-2000 than today

I had a Osborne round knife which i brought about 25 years ago handle got damaged asked someone if they could fix it for me,  they made it worse so i contacted H Webber & Sons where got from to see if they could source another handle for me they told that Osborne tools were guaranteed for life so send it back they will send me another one   -  fantastic customer service even though the damage was my fault trusting someone else to repair it. Anyway the replacement knife was no where as good as the old one,  will not hold a edge very long have to kept sharpening it, I did not have that problem with the old one. Shame really liked the old knife.

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

35 minutes ago, FrenchMich said:

I'm came here to share points of view with craftsmen of country of Cowboys. But if it's too much complicated I'm leaving where I come from. I have a few of very good contact in USAand I can satisfied myself of that.

dont let the comments of one ruffle your feathers friend Sometimes the written word can be mistaken.

Chuck, excuses me but my English is not sufficient to understand your reply

2 hours ago, FrenchMich said:

3 hours ago, FrenchMich said:

I meant dont let the comments of some upset you, your experience and love of the craft are needed and wanted on the forum i look forward to seeing you work.

Thank you very much Chuck, now I all understood. So i will stay wise and stoic.

Edited by FrenchMich

14 hours ago, FrenchMich said:

Without being a god of mechanics, the old Blanchard hand forged awls broke, the new Vergez-Blanchard awls bent it proves that the steel is less hard.

If it breaks it means it's more brittle, which means it hasn't been annealed properly after it was hardened (probably intentionally).  Annealing reduces hardness but increases ductility (stretch/bend). For example hand files, they usually don't anneal them because this makes the steel harder, holds an edge better, and a file doesn't need to bend anyway.  But if you drop a file on hard floor once or twice it will likely break.  Knives on the other hand need to be able to bend, so they anneal them.

That's a general observation on heat treatment but the end result (brittle/hard/flexible etc) depends on the type of steel as well.

I would say a woodworking awl needs to have some flexibility, but a leatherworking awl probably doesn't, so in my mind it makes sense not to anneal it and help it hold an edge longer.  But I can also see how this might have caused complaints from users who don't understand this and wanted their broken awl replaced because they dropped it, it broke and they saw this as a sign of bad manufacturing.

15 hours ago, chrisash said:

There was a lot of early tools that were extremely overengineered, and some people loved it.  Like if you open up an early electric drill chances are it's all metal, weighs a tonne, and feels like it's gonna last for centuries.  In the end most people felt there's really no need for that, and plastic won over for practical and cost reasons.   I sometimes side with A and sometimes with B.  

On 8/28/2020 at 6:58 PM, jcuk said:

Nice work that.

I do the same always on the look out for old tools, but have to admit would not want a awl with a nice expensive haft/handle was taught to use the handle to push the needle through if its not playing ball,  but most of my work is with heavier leather 3/4mm plus sometimes two/three layers i mainly  only use  two awls both handles are pitted with needle holes. On Vegez Blanchard at least they are still making tools along with George Barnsley in the Uk although Barnsley tools are not as pretty to look at sure they will do the job. I need to get some portmanteau pricking irons ask one of my suppliers where there new line of pricking irons are made sadly they told me they had tried for five years to get tools made closer to home to no avail so they are made in the far east, now may have to bite the bullet and get them, but to give the company some credit they have saved many other companies attached to the saddlery/leather working industry in the UK.

Again nice work.

JCUK

Barnsley do their irons left handed. I don't know if that's the same as a portmanteau iron but my impression is that they're the same thing.

32 minutes ago, Matt S said:

Barnsley do their irons left handed. I don't know if that's the same as a portmanteau iron but my impression is that they're the same thing.

Cheers yes have seen them but not in SPI i need 

JCUK

I master these areas of engineering quite well but the English is not my native language and it's not easy to to me to follow this kind of conversation. I'm afraid to write nonsences whitch will be misinterpreted.

I don't refuse progress when it brings, I'm not reactionary.
In France, we say that Vergez uses ''an iron to shoe a donkey'' It's a French expression to describe the tinplate very slack.I still have some old Balnchard awls that I preciously keep but it was other thing.
What I can say, the Jerome's awls come directly from machining, it is a very high quality steel and they can be used directly without any preparation. That's right, it should not be dropped on hard ground under penalty of break it.
Jerome made me some special longuer awls and sew a cheyenne roll with become a real pleasure.

Everyone does as they like

Mich'

PS : I still have some recent Vergez-Blanchard awls and handles (new and no prepared). I won't use it anymore and if somebody want, I'm ready to send him it free.

Edited by FrenchMich
Mistakes again

Personally I'm very happy with my Chinese steel.  It works for me :dunno:

various-1-34-X3.jpg