Kolton45

Awl makers

've been buying Doc Martens for 32 years :)

It was not a rite of passage but it was a bit of a statement in Greece where i grew up.  Just finished the look for all kids who wanted to be a little different.

Competition is just better at the mo

I do know that brand but they had to to be real thing there are lots of dare i say Air wear boots over here some others are a lot cheaper not all are not that bad at all the soles being impervious are also main factor in a stable block looking at tack that needs repairs. So now not just a fashion statement. The first three pairs i owned i never wore out just grew out of them.

But time to get back on AWL MAKERS 

Cheers

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

12 hours ago, Frodo said:

I have one of yours.  To me, It is worth more than 50 bucks in sentimental value alone. ,  It is a tool i will PROUDLY hand off to one of the boys

but. the sob has poked my dam finger twice already.  lol

i was flicking the blood at my wife and she hit me.   I need to turn her in on a red flag charge....NO wait.  They will take my..Never mind I will just endure the beatings like a good husband  LoL  

20200828_132459.jpg.6d432eaf3772b2af8eebc9d150a9adf8.jpg

Contrary to what some may say, blood on your leather work is NOT a value add feature.  You will know that your awl is TRULY sharp when it goes through several thick layers, into your finger and you don't even feel it!  

And yes, for sure, happy wife - happy life.  Take the beating and fake a few tears and ouchies - then walk away and grin!

- Bill

Edited by billybopp
Oopsie

6 hours ago, Spyros said:

What do you guys have against chisels?

Nothing, but once you learn how to use a awl you will know.

JCUK

53 minutes ago, jcuk said:

JCUK

That's ok I'd rather not know :)

2 minutes ago, Spyros said:

That's ok I'd rather not know :)

There are situations where chisels are just much more difficult to use than an awl would be.  Because of that, it's a good plan to be at least reasonably comfortable using an awl.

- Bill

3 hours ago, billybopp said:

There are situations where chisels are just much more difficult to use than an awl would be.  Because of that, it's a good plan to be at least reasonably comfortable using an awl.

- Bill

Agreed

Better to have that skill than not.

A good way to learn to use an awl is to use your chisels on the top layer and practice to use the awl through the second layer of leather. And no that's not how i was taught i was taught how the double hand stitch/saddle stitch from scratch no chisels in them days. 

JCUK

On 9/5/2020 at 5:34 AM, jcuk said:

JCUK

LOL before i made a good awl i used chisels now i can make 6 holes with my awl through three layers faster than trying to wrestle  my 6 prong chisel out of one layer. Dont get me wrong i'll use chisels also when needed but that is getting to be less and less with awl practice.

On 9/5/2020 at 5:24 AM, billybopp said:

Contrary to what some may say, blood on your leather work is NOT a value add feature.  You will know that your awl is TRULY sharp when it goes through several thick layers, into your finger and you don't even feel it!  

And yes, for sure, happy wife - happy life.  Take the beating and fake a few tears and ouchies - then walk away and grin!

- Bill

LOL i shoulda sent some bandages. Yes i too found out how sharp they are the same way. Take everyone's advice and drink a bottle of wine or offer it to your wife as an apology  then use the cork instead of your finger.

12 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

LOL i shoulda sent some bandages. Yes i too found out how sharp they are the same way. Take everyone's advice and drink a bottle of wine or offer it to your wife as an apology  then use the cork instead of your finger.

91420_04ab93a0cc0729f28a361d45b67af02b.thumb.png.2ffd1732aedd5c01e28c3f6182f06b22.png

10 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

LOL before i made a good awl i used chisels now i can make 6 holes with my awl through three layers faster than trying to wrestle  my 6 prong chisel out of one layer. Dont get me wrong i'll use chisels also when needed but that is getting to be less and less with awl practice.

10 prong KS Blades solved that for me.  Not cheaply though...

14 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Glad hear your getting used to working with a awl, i brought some stitching chisels just to see what the fuss was they are ok but not for me, but can see the attraction to some who have been trying to learn to stitch with a awl from just watching Youtube videos, seeing peoples nice work posted here done with using said chisels looking for a easier method to achieve a better looking stitch i had the luxury of hands on teaching. The other thing you will find with using a awl is you get to feel the integrity of the leather  you are working on very important for most of my work, saddlery would never advise anyone to use chisels for that kind of work and plus think chisels are ok for light to medium work not heavy work where safety is a issue. My awls are nothing fancy just good old working tools.

JCUK    

Edited by jcuk

4 hours ago, Spyros said:

Try it through 3 layers of 4mm + then you will see. Yes you can do the 3 layers one layer at a time but on a bigger job very time consuming marking three layers to line up correctly, when you only need to do one layer if you can use awl. Oh my Awls all around a tenner each.

JCUK

5 hours ago, Spyros said:

The number of holes wasn't the issue. I can do ten holes through multiple layers quicker that a chisel also.

1 hour ago, jcuk said:

Try it through 3 layers of 4mm + then you will see. Yes you can do the 3 layers one layer at a time but on a bigger job very time consuming marking three layers to line up correctly, when you only need to do one layer if you can use awl. Oh my Awls all around a tenner each.

JCUK

I make bags, I don't do that.  I'll keep it in mind if I start making... whatever it is that requires over a centimetre of leather.  

The last creation of J.David

9727l.jpg

the finest blade in the range width: 1.4mm

Edited by paloma

972b1.jpg

Edited by paloma

Don't log in here much but wanted to comment on those Jerome David awl hafts. Just beautiful. As someone who has dabbled in awl making, and wood and metal work in general,  I'd love to see how he constructs these. Just for my own curiosity.

Here are a few I made a couple of years ago, and sold some of them here. Haven't made one in some time. Utilizing the Starrett pin vise and the nickel silver collar I turn makes these considerably heavier than Titanium, I would think.

awl group 1.JPG

awl haft #14-1-2.JPG

Awl hafts

LV awl #2-1-2.JPG

I'm also fascinated by his blades.  Diamond shaped blade but sharpened to a chisel point.

I'll definitely have to try that. 

I don't know how he makes them but all I know is that these tools are evil!

oXKoG.jpg

2R71R.jpg

Edited by paloma

Those J. David awls are certainly beautiful looking, and yes, I'm curious how he makes them too.

Slipangle, you did a nice job on those, they look great.

My awl has a nice small feature: a dent in the wood handle that I use to push my needle. Also, the point is fine enough that I can use it to pull the needle eye to get a tight needle through; gently so I dont break the needle with the awl.

If it doesn't fit, it'll be made to fit. I ordered a new awl haft, hopefully solid enough (the one I inhereted is coming apart) and when it arrived I found it too big for my hand.

This one: https://vergez-blanchard.fr/en/awl-handle-with-chuck/1929-spare-chuck-handle-for-edge-beveler.html

I could have sent it back, but then I still wouldn't have had a usable awl. So instead I spent an evening with some tools and a morning with linseed oil, and now I have a haft made to measure. The red one is the old one which I now find too small.

20210422_131125.jpg

I make my own blade included, i find the curved handle allows me to position the blade so when it fits the hand its in perfect alignment, don't need to look just grab it and go. I just bought a new lathe so turning handles will be in my future.

newawl3.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

That man chuck,  i aint lie not one bit. He makes a good awl

fits my paw perfect. he even has the angle of the blade oriented to the angle of the handle so every time you pick it up

it just naturally falls into the correct line up.

008.jpg.d7554836609456029c817e6a88cea28f.jpg

3 hours ago, Frodo said:

That man chuck,  i aint lie not one bit. He makes a good awl

fits my paw perfect. he even has the angle of the blade oriented to the angle of the handle so every time you pick it up

it just naturally falls into the correct line up.

Thank you friend i appreciate the kind words!