Professor

Flesh contact leather liner

Is unfinished smooth side veg tanned cow leather safe for extended contact with the flesh, such as the liner for a watch band?

Would a finish be better, if so what type?

Any suggestions on better lining leathers, or treatments is appreciated..

I would say yes leather is safe to wear!  Do you wear leather shoes? Use any finish you prefer!  I like tan-cote!  Lots of people swear to resolene others like super sheen, clear-lac, saddle-lac, wyo-sheen, angelus and others.  Some finishes work better on items that flex or bend others not so good.  Some only use an oil for a top coat others a wax, so to say what is best to use it’s kind of to each his own,

22 hours ago, Rhale said:

I would say yes leather is safe to wear!  Do you wear leather shoes?

I wear socks whether the shoes are lined or not.

A watch band is more intimate direct flesh to leather contact and subject to sweat and rain ,etc.

In recent years most watch bands are lined with a synthetic, which often mimics the look and feel of unfinished smooth leather. 

I'm wondering if there might be chemicals or oils I should avoid. I intend to try straight neatsfoot oil first.  I already have a number of nice buckles salvaged from cheap made bands, the buckles being the only quality part.

I'd like some type of finish that will never get moldy no matter how damp the band might get from rain or sweat. Something non reactive with no allergens. A lacquer base sounds about right, so long as it doesn't crackle up when flexed Most synthetic liners crack at the holes after a month or so if not sooner.

I have no idea what finishes if any have allergens,  I have worked with leather for over 60 years and have never broke out, got allergys, or any other harm from leather or any of the finishes nor have I ever had anyone ask me about allergens from leather or the finishes on them!  If someone is that concerned about I’ll effects of leather they probably need to be vegan and stick with cloth, metal or plastic!

2 hours ago, Sturme said:

i would avoid prolonged contact with chrome tanned leather

Glad you took the question seriously.

8 hours ago, Professor said:

Glad you took the question seriously.

sorry, i misread the question. totally spaced veg tan. i would say veg tan is safe. its been used against skin for a long time. as for finish? i would just leave it bare. just slick it down a bit if needed

18 hours ago, Sturme said:

i would avoid prolonged contact with chrome tanned leather

But, isn't that how garment leather is tanned?

Edited by Hardrada

3 hours ago, Hardrada said:

But, isn't that how garment leather is tanned?

Modern Leather garments are normally lined with a fabric. As I mentioned earlier leather Shoes, if unlined, are normally worn over socks, the leather never touching the skin.

I have remembered an article on the making of a wooden leg for a child, the craftsman used Goatskin as the liner and padding covering. IIRC Kangaroo skin has also been used for this purpose. Most artificial limbs are worn over some sort of knit stocking like sheath.

10 hours ago, Sturme said:

sorry, i misread the question. totally spaced veg tan. i would say veg tan is safe. its been used against skin for a long time. as for finish? i would just leave it bare. just slick it down a bit if needed

That is what I'll try first. I made a broad cuff like band many years ago, two layers of thin stiff cowhide the upper being molded around the watch so nothing could get caught on anything. It seemed to work okay.