Heapsofstitchin

Pattern making

Hi,

first post

how do you guys make patterns, I’ve used paper but i feel its a bit flimsy for making larger bag patterns. And the cereal boxes aren’t big enough to make the panel size I want, any recommendations for a sturdy card like material (preferably with guidelines on it) or any tips? 

Also, I have this notion I could draw my pattern on the computer, or iPad, and then print it out to scale. Is there a programme anybody uses to do this? 

Thanks,

I use old Christmas clothing boxes. you can but them cheaply at any dollar store or poster board is the same stuff. I have found its easier to make my patterns by hand then scan and save them after you get all the bugs worked out. I make the first scan and save then I can reprint and modify until its correct. A lot of people use programs but then spend their time learning the program not the leather work, then they have to update and relearn then at some point the program gets jacked and.... update relearn, update relearn....  well its just a pain in the a** to me. MY opinion only! 

2 hours ago, Heapsofstitchin said:

Is there a programme anybody uses to do this?

I use Adobe Illustrator for all of my pattern design, but it has a steep learning curve and a high price.

The issue for designing with a computer is that typically you can only print to a letter-sized sheet of paper. For patterns larger than that, there is a feature called "tiling" where you can print to several pieces of paper and tape them together. Sounds easy, but it is not always easy to properly align all of the pieces of paper.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

I buy poster board from my local drugstore.

I use a roll of heavy brown paper from Home Depot, Lowes or other building supply stores.  It’s used to protect floors during remodeling.  A roll that is 36” x 50’ run @$15 and is quite durable.  Great for long patters like rifle cases and wide enough for most any project.

Gary

1- most frequently I use paper with my pattern printed on it, glued and cut out of poster board.

I have also used cereal boxes and even cheap vinyl floor tile, but have move away from this.

I have also had a few templates cut out of acrylic from Makesupply

2- I use Affinity Design for my software. Adobe illustrator got to be too expensive with the subscription and I wasn’t using it to its full potential.

Hello Super New here so I thought I would jump in on something simple. I use "pattern sheets" from Weaver. Very affordable. Plastic and so they last for years. 

I punch an 8mm hole in each part of a pattern and string it on a leather cord.  Keeps it all together and stores easy.

If I am going to hand punch the stitch holes, I use a 1.5mm on the pattern and when I am using it, a 1 mm punch, it drops in and makes it quicker to punch out. 

Well met everyone. 

IMG_20200605_164014small.jpg

When I get sides of leather etc. they are wrapped in heaps of brown paper. I keep that  and re-use them for making large cutting templates, go over them with an iron to get the creases out,  and run some clear sticky tape around the edges on both sides so they don't become ' dog eared' .  I work with some canvases as well as leather. Its just a way for me to re-use & recycle.But the plastic sheets are a great idea . 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

I use 110 pound card stock.  I can put it in my printer as well and copy templates.  The card stock really helps.  I even found some for A4 size patterns.

I was at Tandy today and found some heavy duty cardboard that is perfect for templates.  One roll will last me years.

19 hours ago, Heapsofstitchin said:

Hi,

first post

how do you guys make patterns, I’ve used paper but i feel its a bit flimsy for making larger bag patterns. And the cereal boxes aren’t big enough to make the panel size I want, any recommendations for a sturdy card like material (preferably with guidelines on it) or any tips? 

Also, I have this notion I could draw my pattern on the computer, or iPad, and then print it out to scale. Is there a programme anybody uses to do this? 

Thanks,

I am going say that I would recommend learning to use a decent CAD type of drawing program as I did many years ago. I have for many years used AutoCad  but there are a ton of free and very cheap alternative programs to choose from nowadays. The reason I say this is I can get a correct to size print straight out of my A3 printer straight down onto some decent cardstock which I mostly use for my pattern work. Another advantage comes that if you progress onto laser cutting you can from the same drawing get them cut out on a laser or sometimes even the leather itself. Another feature about this is you can also go on to drawing in 3D and this allows 3D printing to be done which is a feature I use every week if not every day. If you want to see a little on how I have used all of these CAD features have a look at my profile and in the about me section you'll see a fair few examples like this one below -

Edited by RockyAussie

Ι've only made one.   Did it on paper, assembled it with bulldog clips to make sure it works, then stuck it with spray glue on masonite and cut it on the bandsaw and scroll saw.  Done.

I could do it on sketchup I guess, my problem is that I'm in front of the computer all day for work, so when I finally get some workshop time last thing I want to do is sit on the computer again.

I was thinking if I make something multiple times it's not hard for me to make the pattern pieces out of 18mm MDF and add some actual handles on them so I can push down and hold steady while cutting, and it will probably last for years.  Then again that's the beauty and the curse of being an amateur:  I've never had to make the same thing twice.

The cardboard I found at Tandy is actually bag stiffener.  It was $ 8.99 for the sheet, enough for years and cuts easily with a utility knife.

@Spyros Thats pretty much what I did. I 'll make  a paper template, clamp it together for a bag for example,  make any adjustments until everything works  or fits  right. I too use MDF, very versatile stuff. Nearly all of my templates are MDF, although I haven't put handles on mine. I guess you'd need to glue them on, don't want any screws poking out the other side ...  :) 

You're not an amateur, you're a  professional in training   :thumbsup:

HS 

Bag-Lawson 2 006.jpg

Bag pattern 002.jpg

2 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Nearly all of my templates are MDF, although I haven't put handles on mine. I guess you'd need to glue them on, don't want any screws poking out the other side ...  :) 

Countersink the screw :)

The-countersink-hole-and-the-combination

For small projects I use translucent, thin cutting boards from the dollar store, Come 3 to a package and 11x14 1/8