Sign in to follow this  
leatheroo

just finished my first mask

Hi, i have just finished my first mask, as you can see i have a long way to go. The leather is wet and molded on the face and then painted. If you want to see what i am aspiring to, check out www.maskparade.com this guy is really good. I found the leather i used was too thick and i will have to research different types of paint. What i really need to use is an air brush.

The other item is an arm guard for archery that i decide to decorate using a wood burning tool instead of carving.

Bye for now

Leatheroo

P9140015.JPG

PB140007.JPG

post-4514-1189723460_thumb.jpg

post-4514-1189723521_thumb.jpg

Very nice looking work Roo. Does the amsk have a liner of any kind in it?

Ken

Very nice looking work Roo. Does the amsk have a liner of any kind in it?

Ken

i stained the back and sprayed the whole mask with a permanent clear gloss finish. Time will tell if the stain comes off on the face. My daughter has taken it to school. If she comes home with a black face i will have to rethink the back.

I very much like the design of the bird on the bracer. Very dramatic, simple and evocative.

For mask inspiration, I recommend http://www.merimask.com/

The lady does amazing stuff. My mentor in leatherwork got her started years back, and she just took off. I've just about had to put on the bib when looking at her stuff in person... and I *really* wanted a magnifying glass to try and see some of the details in her coloring...

Masks are on my list of things to try, but I'm not there yet :)

Very nice leatheroo I also like the eagle your not a closet West Coast Eagles fan are you in Cats territory Hee Hee. Also thought you might be interested in this clip on you tube

I came across it when I was searching for leather carving stuff. I found another clip on you tube for leathercraft where the lady used Jo Sonja paints but she was using it on flat things so I'm not sure if it would be suitable for masks but you could try it as they have some really nice colours.

Cheers,

Clair