YinTx

Looking for Robert Beard Bevelers and other tools

I am looking to upgrade my leather carving tools, so I am looking for some Robert Beard, Barry King and similar tools for the right price.  Let me know what you have that you are interested in selling.  Thank you,

YinTx

Fact of leather life here. Robert Beard tools sell for more than you paid for them when new. This is on eBay. They seldom come up unless someone dies. Barry King tools can be a little more flexible on price, but they hold their value too.

I don’t know where in Texas you are but at the boot and saddle leather show in Wichita Fall in October Robert has a booth there every year selling tools.  I usually save up some money and spend it with him every year!

1 hour ago, Art said:

Fact of leather life here. Robert Beard tools sell for more than you paid for them when new. This is on eBay. They seldom come up unless someone dies. Barry King tools can be a little more flexible on price, but they hold their value too.

Yeah, I get that. I find one or two occasionally, but not the items I am looking for.  I have a bunch of Sergey's stamps in a basket, looking to buy them, and may just end up calling Robert Beard to see about getting what I want, just not sure what sizes of items would do the best for me. Mostly I am trying to find some bevelers and maybe some pear shaders/thumb prints.  Was hoping to see him maybe at a show somewhere, but those seem to be getting cancelled, etc.  I think there is a show in Waco that I could possibly make it to if they still have it.

My tooling is kind of varied, so I am don't know what will work best.  Maybe someone that uses his tools can suggest the correct style/sizes?

I'd like to think my skills have gotten to a point that buying nicer tools isn't just a waste, if you know what I mean.  Here are some examples of things I typically do:

Long wallet

20200412_164311LoRes.thumb.jpg.d5aa717898ada75538960db743868f0c.jpg

Belt

BeltLoRes.thumb.jpg.591d64cf919964f3df4c1d4d97014ccb.jpg

Knife sheath

PrototypeBokerSheathLoRes.thumb.jpg.58332d3ac08bfe9d60896340473ae518.jpg

Cell phone cover

SCellPhoneCoverLoRes.thumb.jpg.f7bb3bea146bf479f816eaf6f5a2c395.jpg

1 hour ago, Rhale said:

I don’t know where in Texas you are but at the boot and saddle leather show in Wichita Fall in October Robert has a booth there every year selling tools.  I usually save up some money and spend it with him every year!

I see the Heart Of Texas Leather show is in Waco this August.  I think it is closer to me than Wichita.  Do you know if he goes there also?  Is the show in Wichita Falls on this year?

YinTx

I don’t know if he goes to heart of Texas, I think this is their 1st year!  Yes the Wichita Falls show is on, I just received my tickets a couple days ago it is the 1st weekend in October.  Where in Texas are you? I live about 80 miles ne of Amarillo kind of in the middle of nowhere,  we get daylight pumped in twice a week!  Lol  

Yintx,

I've watched your work progress I believe from when you first started .  For what it is worth I can only imagine better tools will keep.improving your journey.   I dont think I'm even close to what you do and I've been thinking on better tools too.  After a while I believe you start to  understand the tools and can get good and even great results.  So when you get a tool that gives a crisper impression you only can improve.  Just my 2 cents.  And I dont own any Barry King or Beard yet.  

Keep enjoying the journey

Ross

If anyone has only used craftool or similar tools do not know or realize how much crisper impressions tools like Barry King, Robert Beard, Wayne Jueschke, and others make which in turn makes your carving and tooling look a lot better!  Are they worth the price difference?  In my opinion you bet they do!  If anyone has any doubt tool the same pattern with craftool then tool it with one of the other higher end makers tools,  you will be able to tell an immediate difference.  I have tooled leather off and on for about 60 years and wish I had found the higher end tools a lot sooner than I did but pretty much use only the higher end tools now.  Buy them now before they get any higher priced because they are only going up in price.  Someday if you have to sell them you will be able to get probably more than paid for them!  Only my humble opinion!

3 minutes ago, Rhale said:

If anyone has only used craftool or similar tools do not know or realize how much crisper impressions tools like Barry King, Robert Beard, Wayne Jueschke, and others make which in turn makes your carving and tooling look a lot better!  Are they worth the price difference?  In my opinion you bet they do!  If anyone has any doubt tool the same pattern with craftool then tool it with one of the other higher end makers tools,  you will be able to tell an immediate difference.  I have tooled leather off and on for about 60 years and wish I had found the higher end tools a lot sooner than I did but pretty much use only the higher end tools now.  Buy them now before they get any higher priced because they are only going up in price.  Someday if you have to sell them you will be able to get probably more than paid for them!  Only my humble opinion!

I have heard and read this sentiment on the forums from.others as well.  I've bought a lot of tools from ebay or groups of stamps over the years and always test the impressions and there is a lot of variability in the craftool.  So I'm sure those better tools like you said would only lead to better work.

I better save my pennies too.

Ross

A few weeks ago I talked with Robert on the phone and ordered 4 different tools he had in stock just to try them out.  They came in a few days later and are really nice.  The only other tools I have are Barry Kings tools and Roberts have a smoother finish and more contours to them it seem.  He said the next show he is attending, if not canceled, will be in Arkansas where he will be giving his figure beveling class.  I ordered a deers foot with ball modeling tool, a #2 beveler with scuffing to help hold antique, border key serpentine and a matter.  The matter is really nice with lots of angles to it for smooitng out your work.  His prices are not cheap though, significantly higher than King tools.

He talked with me for close to an hour discussing what my interest are and sharing his ideas and concepts and how they differ from other tool makers and his approach to leather work.  He also said if there was anything I bought and was unsatisfied with he would gladly take it back.  As far as I'm concerned it was a good experience and he's a pretty interesting guy to talk with who is interested in promoting the leather craft.

His wait time for tools is 11+ months.

Scootch

Edited by Scootch

Scotch,  Glad you got to talk to Robert, he is A very interesting guy to talk to!  He has been involved in a lot of different things but has always been into leather.  If you can get one his swivel knives do so, they are amazing!  He always has a good supply of tools with him at the shows so unless it’s some kind of unusual tool you can usually get what you want at shows!  He and Bob Park are good friends and set up next to each other in Wichita Falls,  both are very interesting, talented,  and good to talk to.

You might check with Bruce Johnson @ brucejohnsonleather.com.  He currently has Barry King, Gomph-Hackbarth, Ray Hackbarth, Horseshoe (Jeremiah Watts) and some others available.  

On 6/10/2020 at 10:03 PM, Rhale said:

Scotch,  Glad you got to talk to Robert, he is A very interesting guy to talk to!  He has been involved in a lot of different things but has always been into leather.  If you can get one his swivel knives do so, they are amazing!  He always has a good supply of tools with him at the shows so unless it’s some kind of unusual tool you can usually get what you want at shows!  He and Bob Park are good friends and set up next to each other in Wichita Falls,  both are very interesting, talented,  and good to talk to.

I've been thinking about one of his swivel knives.  I'm just too impatient to wait a year for something!  He talked about Bob quite a bit. Apparently they are close nit and get to judge leather workers competitions together.  

Maybe I'll get a chance to make a show one day.  Living in Mississippi it will be a haul regardless which one I'd try to make.

Yin, 

Your work looks really nice.  Much better than mine.  If you have to reach a certain level to upgrade tools... well, that wouldn't be any fun!  By the look of your bench you have a small fortune already!  I hope you find some tools.  Good luck.

Scootch

Edited by Scootch

On 6/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, Rhale said:

I don’t know if he goes to heart of Texas, I think this is their 1st year!  Yes the Wichita Falls show is on, I just received my tickets a couple days ago it is the 1st weekend in October.  Where in Texas are you? I live about 80 miles ne of Amarillo kind of in the middle of nowhere,  we get daylight pumped in twice a week!  Lol  

Wow, ok, looks like I abandoned this thread, but I didn't!  I'm in South Texas, but anywhere in Texas is drive-able in a day or so.  I'll be keeping my eye on the show to see if it goes as planned...

On 6/10/2020 at 8:15 PM, Rossr said:

Keep enjoying the journey

Indeed, I am but my pocket book is kinda hollerin at me these days!  Thanks for the compliments, and guidance.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:33 PM, Rhale said:

Are they worth the price difference?

Thanks for the pointers.  For the most part, I've used Craftools, and I have preferred the older ones for sure.  I had the good fortune to have acquired a couple of Robert Beards, and I was really impressed, hence my search.  I've been selling some of my Craftools to fund some of the buying, but they are definitely expensive!

On 6/10/2020 at 9:41 PM, Scootch said:

His wait time for tools is 11+ months.

I ordered a basketweave from him long ago, and the wait was about that long if not more.  Worth it, since it is the main basket stamp I reach for when I need one.  Out of dozens!  I'll likely be calling him soon to see about some tools that I haven't found that I want.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:37 AM, K-Man said:

You might check with Bruce Johnson @ brucejohnsonleather.com.  He currently has Barry King, Gomph-Hackbarth, Ray Hackbarth, Horseshoe (Jeremiah Watts) and some others available.  

I've been sending him some emails, hoping to get some tools from him very soon.  Thanks for the pointer!  I'd looked at his stuff in the past, but hadn't been to his site in a while.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:31 PM, Scootch said:

Yin, 

Your work looks really nice.  Much better than mine.  If you have to reach a certain level to upgrade tools... well, that wouldn't be any fun!  By the look of your bench you have a small fortune already!  I hope you find some tools.  Good luck.

Scootch

Thanks for the compliment.  I'm far from an expert or a master, just a beginner in my opinion.  Certainly don't think I'd rank if I entered a competition, but I can at least make something recognizable!  I have picked up a lot of tools along the way, I have a collector's habit I am afraid.  I've sold a few, and will probably sell some more since I have a lot of duplicates.  Tools seem to migrate to my bench from all corners of the globe...

Since I've put this thread out there, I've been able to get some of these tools, and I'll probably make a comparison thread for those that are interested.  I'm still on the hunt tho!

YinTx

On 6/10/2020 at 7:57 PM, Rhale said:

for those that did not know, this was going to be the first year for the show in waco.  the show will not happen this year due to covid.  I am very disappointed cause I live about 30 min from the site of the show

On 7/27/2020 at 1:49 PM, Brianm77 said:

for those that did not know, this was going to be the first year for the show in waco.  the show will not happen this year due to covid.  I am very disappointed cause I live about 30 min from the site of the show

Truth is I was a bit disappointed too, I could make the drive.  Will just have to wait for all this covid nonsense to settle out.

YinTx