Sign in to follow this  
Jdk426

Introduction and question(s)

Hello all. My name is Jerry I am from Louisiana but work all over the states in refineries. I am currently near Corpus Christi area for a bit longer. I have been curious about leather work for quite awhile now and decided it’s something for me to do when I get off of work no matter where I am at working. I’d like to start out pretty small with knife sheaths and wallets and belts perhaps. 

I have read so many post for awhile now and I’m still back at square one. What to buy and where to buy from? 

I don’t mind paying for quality tools as I like to do things right the first time and not buy some tools then buy the same tools awhile later because I want the more dependable tools. 

so my questions are :

1. What tools should I purchase to start crafting these 3 things. 

2. where should I purchase the tools from or what brand names are dependable and long lasting. 

3. what books and templates would you recommend for a beginner (I would eventually like to get into stamping the leather)

thanks a ton for reading this far. I know these questions have been asked , but like I said without direction I am all over the place and still unsure what to get due to the several different answers. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jerry 

1. What tools should I purchase to start crafting these 3 things. 

instead of giving you a long list of possilbe tool, i would suggest you look for some books on the subject.   Or if you have time look for a tandys shop/leather shop in your area and see what they say.  Some may have classes so you can use their tools while learning.  

Depending on how you will fasten the sheath, will dictate on what type of tool you will use.

2. where should I purchase the tools from or what brand names are dependable and long lasting. 

I wouldn't worry about this for now.  Also, even if you get some starter kit with so-so tools, you may find that over time, you can still use them.  They may require more attention but they may not be so bad/inferior that you wont be able to use them.  

for what its worth when i learned some leather craft in Jr. High School back in the mid 70s, the instructor had Tandy tools.  All of the tools were tandys.  At that time you could get a "starter kit" and being a teacher/student he could get them at a discount for anyone that wanted them.  Also, all of the tools in the class had gone through X many years of use and thats with students.  if you remember when you were that young, chances are you didnt take care of things - especially things that were not yours.

Also what i have learned is that if the tools are made to do what they are suppose to do and if you take care of them and dont use them for some other purpose, chances are they will last.  

3. what books and templates would you recommend for a beginner (I would eventually like to get into stamping the leather)

Again, if you have any tandy store in your area i would go there and thumb through any books they may have.

Also, if you have any libraries in your area you may find leathercraft books there too.   If you are not aware, that at one time, you could "order" books from other branches if they didnt have it.  Its a perk.

Also, if you have any bookshops in your area, i would check there too.

fwiw, when it comes to reference material, i sometimes go overboard and will get a whatever books i can find.  I know some people are allergic to books now or dont know how to use them, but i like them.  Why? because i dont need the internet and they dont require batteries.   But i would browse through as many books as you can get your hands on and see whats in them.  

You will need to find books on stitching, riveting or just fastening.  

If you have any leather goods shops in your area, you can also look there too.  But maybe buy a belt and take it home and look how its done/assembled.   See if you can figure out how they did it.  But reverse engineering can sometime be better than a book since you have it in your hands and you can disassemble it if you want.

If you are willing to browse through Tandys book you will eventually come across.....

> The Art of Hand Sewing by Stohlman

> How to Lace

> How to make Holsters by Stohlman.

but for all of the above books you will get an idea on how to do things.  Note that not everyone learns the same, so you will need to figure out what works best for you.  The holster making book will cover stitching/lacing, and also pattern making.  But as i mentioned i have more books since i prefer them.   

Edited by $$hobby