Hello

I dip dye all my projects but some parts of the leather does not absorb the dye properly. I wonder if you have faced similar problems? My guess is that the leather isnt completley clean but I am working with new veg tanned leather and I assumed since its new it doesnt need any saddle soaping. 

IMG_20200608_133936.jpg

Yes I have had the same problem!  I believe mine was from some inferior leather, I will let you guess where it was purchased, it seems the only time I have this problem is with imported leather.  I have not had the problem with Hermann Oak or Wickett and Craig.  I am not saying all imported leather is bad,  I’m saying that’s the only one I have had problems with dying.

9 hours ago, Rhale said:

Yes I have had the same problem!  I believe mine was from some inferior leather, I will let you guess where it was purchased, it seems the only time I have this problem is with imported leather.  I have not had the problem with Hermann Oak or Wickett and Craig.  I am not saying all imported leather is bad,  I’m saying that’s the only one I have had problems with dying.

I understand, where in Europe can I find the leathers you mention? The leather I work with at the moment is imported from Italy, probably something to do with the tanning process would be my guess. 

Since I live in Texas in the USA I have no idea where in Europe you can buy either!

To be safe you can always use a deglazer (or, milder, saddle soap).  There is no way to tell what has happened to the leather between the tannery and your hands.  All it takes is someone with greasy fingers to have areas that don't dye easily.

Usually the Pro dyes penetrate better than the regular dyes, and are more even.  So I would look at the leather.