Paultalks

ISO Low Cost Leather Supplies for making Journals

I have a ministry and I need a good source for inexpensive leather supplies to make leather journals for our volunteers. I would also appreciate some suggestions on journal patterns/designs/templates and sources for refills. I am in Palm Beach County Florida.

Thank you 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Paul,

I did the same thing for our men's ministry. I made a journal for everyone (20), with the name and number of their favorite verse. I ordered a journal leather bundle from Springfield Leather. At the time it was on sale for around 70.00. I still have about half of the leather left. It was described as oil tanned leather, I found it to be more of just a regular chrome tan. They now sell a smaller journal makers bundle for around 45.00. The leather was not firm like a veg tan or oil tan, it was soft and pliable. Even so it made some very nice journals. The type of journal I made is the "field journal" style. Springfield has several templates that they sell. I bought the field journal template for 5.00. I hope this was in some way a help, God bless.

This may help with ideas.

I make a cheap version of notebook cover using chrome tan upholstery grade leather.  I got a great lot of this leather from my usual supplier. It was off-cuts from them recovering leather furniture. It cost me then about £1 per kilo, works out at about £0.50 sqft.  I just glue the leather together, and use ready-rivets where needed. Cheap corner protectors added. I supply a note book in it. The books can be bought here in the local £1-shop, (dollar shop to you) so replacements are easy to get. This cover costs about £2.75 ($3.50 ?) to make in materials which includes £0.50 for the notebook

1660163259_Bookcover05s.jpg.b0fee644369a16ed75854a5477ff82f5.jpg

528024265_Bookcover02s.jpg.d8b533954d577e9f07f05a91b6f354db.jpg

2008900826_Bookcover01s.jpg.da86fb7b4816785edc5d404afdff62c0.jpg

The chrome tan leather can't be tooled but I've made these with an applique veg tan panel sewn on which had a person's name stamped on it. That added all of, maybe, another £0.10 as I just used a bit of scrap leather trimmed to size, stamped and dyed. In a way that is quite handy as I have a number of these ready-made in a box and just need to add  the applique panel for personalisation

The pattern for this is real simple. One large rectangle about 25 x 17 cm, and two rectangles of 9 x 17 cm for the insides. Two pieces about 3 cm x 14 cm glued flesh to flesh for the closing strap. On the reverse this strap goes thru a slot into the main piece. It has two rivets to hold it there. By going into the cover the strap looks neater and its ends do not catch on anything and they do not really interfere with the book slipping in

hth

Thank you both. This is much appreciated.