lungerdan

"US" 1800s leather stamp , military

Im attempting to reproduce a leather cartridge holder  from an example given to me by my wifes' mother (cartridge bag handed down through the generations).
Has anyone been able to mimic these or have any info on recreating this symbol somewhat authentically...I assume they had a huge stamp when they were originally made..but I see folks selling replica leather military goods with the symbol-but cannot even find where they may have gotten the stamp? ANy help appreciated.  The "US" seems to be raised-as well as the oblong surrounding it.

s-l300.jpg

To me, that looks exactly like a civil-war union US stamp - that might give you a good starting point for a search!  You may also be able to get a stamp made for not too much $$.   

And that is a very cool item to have!  

- Bill

Always thought my google foo was pretty strong-nothing I can find except actual "mail" postal stamps..and of the makers I have found-most only go up to about 1/2 inch

I got my US and CS stamps from duckcreektraders, aka Bunk House Tools

https://www.shop.bunkhousetools.com/Embossing-Plates_c4.htm

About 1/4 way down for the CS and 2/3 down for the US

Heres a better look, different sizes, closer to the top of the page

https://www.shop.bunkhousetools.com/Embossing-Plates_c4.htm?sortOrder=2

Edited by fredk

On 6/14/2020 at 9:26 AM, lungerdan said:

Im attempting to reproduce a leather cartridge holder  from an example given to me by my wifes' mother (cartridge bag handed down through the generations).
Has anyone been able to mimic these or have any info on recreating this symbol somewhat authentically...I assume they had a huge stamp when they were originally made..but I see folks selling replica leather military goods with the symbol-but cannot even find where they may have gotten the stamp? ANy help appreciated.  The "US" seems to be raised-as well as the oblong surrounding it.

s-l300.jpg

Just so you know, reproducing one of the cartridge boxes is not an easy task there are many hidden construction details