Sign in to follow this  
ScottWolf

Help identifying this X stitch variant

I have been unsuccessful in finding this stitch anywhere on the internet or in the forum(s) here. The stitch shown is used to sew a welt on a baseball glove. I am familiar with 2 needle hand stitching and the typical types of stitches. What has me scratching my head with this one are the stitches that run parallel to the welt. I have an idea of how it may be done, but am not positive. Can anyone shed some light on what the name of this stitch is and what the sewing sequence is to get the parallel thread and the typical X stitch as shown?

51811927_2034417626606337_137537690475167744_n.jpg

19 minutes ago, Northmount said:

Looks to be sewn twice, once with maybe a saddle stitch, then again with a cross stitch. 

Tom

Tom, thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I have concluded. To me, it appears they ran a saddle stitch in one direction, got to the end and instead of terminating it, came back the opposite direction with a cross stitch. I am wondering if there is a name for this particular type of stitch when the two types are paired up or is there no name for it? 

If it was me i would do the cross stitch first and then finish off with the saddle using one single thread it would be neater and more secure to finish off on a saddle stitch going back 2.5 or 3.5 stitches.This is one of the few jobs where i would maybe pre prick the work before stitching so when you do the the cross stitch first you will be using and hitting the pre pricked saddle stitch holes to keep it neater.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Edited by jcuk