ScottWolf

Help identifying this X stitch variant

I am cross posting from the Sewing forum, apologies if this is not permitted.

I have been unsuccessful in finding this stitch anywhere on the internet or in the forum(s) here. The stitch shown is used to sew a welt on a baseball glove. I am familiar with 2 needle hand stitching and the typical types of stitches. What has me scratching my head with this one are the stitches that run parallel to the welt. I have an idea of how it may be done, but am not positive. Can anyone shed some light on what the name of this stitch is and what the sewing sequence is to get the parallel thread and the typical X stitch as shown?

51811927_2034417626606337_137537690475167744_n.jpg

Edited by ScottWolf

26 minutes ago, Retswerb said:

Have you see Cechaflo’s steering wheel stitches on YouTube? I don’t see this exact stitch but he has lots of variations that might give ideas. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoSIdv1C9uyR89bDwrd95ClwEfco6fqtg

Yes, I have seen some of those. However they all use the parallel thread to run the X through as part of pulling the 2 pieces of leather together, towards one another. The stitch above does not. What I have concluded, is that the pictured stitch is a typical saddle stitch done in one direction and instead of terminating it at the end, it is doubled back on itself using the Cross stitch in the opposite direction. So it is a combination of both a saddle and a cross stitch all in one run. Not sure if there is a name for this stitch or not. My guess is no at this point.

Edited by ScottWolf

That looks to me that it might be a lacing pattern rather than a stitching pattern, perhaps try searching for lacing rather than stitching.

Mark