looking for recommendations for a closure for a cell phone holster that will be used frequently

Magnet is not strong enough

post would scrape every thing

snaps wear out the leather

Suggestions?  

20200614_094756.jpg

Edited by Frodo

I use a 'Sam Brown' stud on my phone holster. Inside the holster the screw part is covered with a piece of pigs-skin lining

Velcro or put a loop on the case so you slide the strap end into it.

Hope this helps

JCUK

I find that with frequent use velcro becomes useless.

tbh when I make a new phone holster I'll be doing the the strap & loop closure. The SB stud can be a nuisance 

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

I understand your issue, I've faced the same problem, but I'm curious... what do you mean that "snaps wear out the leather"?

43 minutes ago, fredk said:

I find that with frequent use velcro becomes useless.

tbh when I make a new phone holster I'll be doing the the strap & loop closure. The SB stud can be a nuisance 

There are many makes and types of velcro/Hook and Loop on the market some are a lot better than others, i have made many weight cloths for jockeys in  racing using this method it seems the safest way to me to keep the lead in the weight cloth have seen snaps fail at times.

JCUK

Edited by jcuk

3 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I understand your issue, I've faced the same problem, but I'm curious... what do you mean that "snaps wear out the leather"?

Frequent pulling the leather  snap causes the hole for the snap to elongate . after a period the snap comes through the leather

I am referring to multiple times per day .  Not 1 time a day type use

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

Frequent pulling the leather  snap causes the hole for the snap to elongate . after a period the snap comes through the leather

I've imagined that the leather could stretch and cause the cap to come loose, so I've always punched a hole slightly smaller than the shaft on the snap's cap, then use a snap setter so that the cap is set with very even pressure. I'm not sure it did any good, but I sure felt better about it.

Edited by LatigoAmigo

Some snaps are incredibly difficult to open. If I have any of these I run a file around the ridge above the groove which the spring grips. I take just a smidgen off it. This loosens the grip just a tad. The snap still hold tight but it just doesn't need that screwdriver to open it.

Another thing I've had to do is put a piece of thin brass between two layers of leather. A hole in the brass for the snap's shaft to go thru and the brass extending to where a person grips to pull the snap open. This was on a repair - improvement where the leather had stretched and pulled out over the head of the snap

I long, long ago gave up screwing around with fasteners for cell phones.

Too easy to make this one, . . . works like a champ, . . . 7/8 oz leather, . . . metal belt snap on the back . . . held together with rivets.

This one holds a samsung note 8 with it's kinda rubber like case around it, . . . I wear it in/on the computer chair, . . . dinner table, . . . tractor, . . . zero turn, . . . quad, . . . Jeep . . . van . . . up & down ladders . . . never dropped a phone out of it yet . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

cell phone case.jpg

7 hours ago, Frodo said:

looking for recommendations for a closure for a cell phone holster that will be used frequently

Magnet is not strong enough

post would scrape every thing

Suggestions?  

20200614_094756.jpg

You might just wet mold that flap under your thumb, . . . mold it around the phone, . . .  tuck the little sucker down inside . . . be surprised how well it just might work.

See the one above ^^^^^^^

Either a Sam Browne stud with lining over the base as fredk suggested, or set the stud over a patch of leather that then will be stitched in place.

I've done both:

Casual_pouch--02.jpg.5055bb7a620cf807c0930b8003f6c57c.jpg

Tin_pouch--02.thumb.jpg.2b52a44e3cc1b665e8f90c52a9516b13.jpg

Magnets are indeed an option. There are stronger ones even without going all the way to rare earth magnets (which I'd advise against using on a phone case).

I wouldn't use snaps. I have a fabric phone case that uses a snap to close the belt loop and once I scratched my phone by pressing that snap closed whilst the phone was inside the case. The imprint of the snap went through the fabric: I wasn't happy.

13 hours ago, Dwight said:

I long, long ago gave up screwing around with fasteners for cell phones.

Too easy to make this one, . . . works like a champ, . . . 7/8 oz leather, . . . metal belt snap on the back . . . held together with rivets.

This one holds a samsung note 8 with it's kinda rubber like case around it, . . . I wear it in/on the computer chair, . . . dinner table, . . . tractor, . . . zero turn, . . . quad, . . . Jeep . . . van . . . up & down ladders . . . never dropped a phone out of it yet . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

cell phone case.jpg

I do something like this too. I use a 1/2" strap around the holder, kinda tight but not to tight to tuck the flap  into.

4 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

I do something like this too. I use a 1/2" strap around the holder, kinda tight but not to tight to tuck the flap  into.

That brings back memories

The first thing in leather that i ever made was a taser holster  I used a belt and believe it or not 22LR cases for rivets

bugzapper.jpg

bugzapper1.jpg

As we are sharing photos of our phone holsters, here's mine. About 18 - 20 months in daily use.

441724169_phoneholster01s.jpg.12ca9a89e98cff4698710670e93f3ac5.jpg

714368909_phoneholster02s.jpg.6fdb7d84b0363657b6bd4edee880caad.jpg

The area around the hole for the stud has softened over time. It could do with improving

if you rivet the tab on inthe place a snap would go, with a small spacer, then take it out and slide the tab over and off when you want to, 

if you get what i mean