Finished this matching combination sheath and riggers ditty bag all in Leather & 18oz duck canvas with brass rivets and Ds. Oil dyed veg tan for the sheath and oil dyed goat for the bag.

What do ya reckon?

D5C1A117-79AB-48C9-8821-309FF468E3B4.jpeg

AF3E8BB9-B6C8-4BDE-A79E-6932994FDE69.jpeg

DAF92FBD-83EF-4AAC-A807-9AAB40E0E70D.jpeg

That's a really nice set, great work! Are you making a belt to go with it? Who made the knife and marlin spike?

How did you find the brass saddlers rivets? I've only ever used copper, which is fairly easy to dome.

Visually it all comes together very nicely, well done!

is that micarta on the knife handle? Or Kydex, I can't really tell, but I like it, very nice match with the leather.

Beautiful work. The only real question I have is about a drain hole for the knife side. I also have zero idea about sailing and imagine huge waves crashing over the deck and narrowly escaping boat capsizing waves every other minute or so, filling that sheath with seawater rather often. I'm likely wrong and it ain't an issue. :D 

1 hour ago, battlemunky said:

Beautiful work. The only real question I have is about a drain hole for the knife side. I also have zero idea about sailing and imagine huge waves crashing over the deck and narrowly escaping boat capsizing waves every other minute or so, filling that sheath with seawater rather often. I'm likely wrong and it ain't an issue. :D 

Don't forget the sharks!  That's the first thing to my mind when I think sailing LOL

Mustn't forget the sharks!

Its a great looking sheath but

With modern nylon /Polyester/ Braided ropes especially if under tension you need a serrated blade to quickly cut through them also the pliers need enclosing more or they will flick out and on a very cold day in a gale you really need heavy duty rubber handles on them

Again your work is excellent but after 40 years at sea what looks the most beautiful item at the yacht club, may have failings at sea when life is going against you in a gale

17 hours ago, battlemunky said:

I also have zero idea about sailing and imagine huge waves crashing over the deck and narrowly escaping boat capsizing waves every other minute or so, filling that sheath with seawater rather often.

I’m no sailor either but if that’s what you have in mind I don’t think I want to sail with you! :rofl:

:) Fear based reasoning FTW!

Very very nice! As Matt said how about those rivets?  I too have only used copper. Everything about that marlin spike appeals to me in a very strange way. Well done.

I have brass rivets. I think they are similar to copper. A bit harder to cut but seem the same when the beat down begins.

Excellent package.

That's a great looking setup. Very nice work.

On 6/15/2020 at 9:38 PM, Matt S said:

That's a really nice set, great work! Are you making a belt to go with it? Who made the knife and marlin spike?

How did you find the brass saddlers rivets? I've only ever used copper, which is fairly easy to dome.

Thanks, yes a belt is on the way with a bid brass shackle for the buckle. The knife is custom made by Jimmy at Dreadnought Forge in Ireland. The marlin spike is from Myerchin and can be bought online. Brass rivets were from eBay and came from China.

I use copper too, not much different really, slightly harder metal. They dome no problem at all.

On 6/17/2020 at 7:14 PM, chrisash said:

Its a great looking sheath but

With modern nylon /Polyester/ Braided ropes especially if under tension you need a serrated blade to quickly cut through them also the pliers need enclosing more or they will flick out and on a very cold day in a gale you really need heavy duty rubber handles on them

Again your work is excellent but after 40 years at sea what looks the most beautiful item at the yacht club, may have failings at sea when life is going against you in a gale

I too have over 40 years of sailing. The key to a good rope knife is the grind. If you polish the edge it’s is useless, but sharpen it with a medium coarse stone so the blade has micro serrations and it becomes as good as serrated. The steel used for the blade also plays a large part.

This isn’t a set up I would ever go sailing with. Too heavy and leather isn’t right for the super wet environment. When sailing I carry either a pocket knife or neck knife in kydex. This I use when on the mooring and doing rig maintenance or fancy rope work just for fun. The pliers, blade and spike are a friction fit so nothing flicking anywhere.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:12 PM, toxo said:

Very very nice! As Matt said how about those rivets?  I too have only used copper. Everything about that marlin spike appeals to me in a very strange way. Well done.

Haha, I know what you mean, I love using it just because it is also a beautiful object. It’s made by Myerchin and can be bought on line. I seem to recall around UK£20

On 6/17/2020 at 2:43 PM, battlemunky said:

You are absolutely right about the drain hole and it is something I forgot about. drain holes on the way. This set up is more for working on the boat after or before sailing. Often I hang a knife in the cockpit or by the helm so it can be used by any of the crew. Thanks for your thoughts

On 6/16/2020 at 3:51 AM, Spyros said:

Visually it all comes together very nicely, well done!

is that micarta on the knife handle? Or Kydex, I can't really tell, but I like it, very nice match with the leather.

Thanks, it’s a project I really enjoyed making it. The knife handle is micarta. The knife was made by Jimmy at Dreadnought Forge. He made this to my requirements with lots of input from him as to how it would be used etc 

On 6/19/2020 at 4:40 PM, battlemunky said:

I have brass rivets. I think they are similar to copper. A bit harder to cut but seem the same when the beat down begins.

I’ve used copper for years, this was the first time I’ve used brass and I was wondering what to expect, and as you say a tad harder to cut and you need to be a smidge harder with the hammer, but really not a whole lot different. I’ve mixed brass rivets with copper burrs and it looks really good.

On 6/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, ZigZag said:

I’ve used copper for years, this was the first time I’ve used brass and I was wondering what to expect, and as you say a tad harder to cut and you need to be a smidge harder with the hammer, but really not a whole lot different. I’ve mixed brass rivets with copper burrs and it looks really good.

Yep, I've mixed them too. It gives it a nice contrast depending on the item but they will corrode a bit worse faster but they do look really good.

Very nicely done.

Have 1 suggestion:  Put a cutout at the top for the marlinspike.  It will make it much easier to pull out, especially when you need it and your hands are wet.

It is quite long, so it won't accidentally come out.