Sign in to follow this  
Michael Sheldon

fastening sleigh bells

OK, on a bit of a whim, I decided to order in some sleigh bells to make some holiday gifts.

I ordered in a few different types. The shaft-style bells I can easily see how to mount. make hole in leather big enough for shaft, stick shaft through hole, put brass pin through hole in shaft, bend pin to keep it from coming back out. Not exactly rocket science. The other bells I got are challenging me however. They just have a single hole through the back of the bell. I found references that say they are riveted on, but no good source on *how* to rivet them on. Adding to the confusion is the fact that one three different sizes of this style of bell, there are two different sizes of holes. On two of them, a #12 copper belt rivet might work. On the other, a #10 belt rivet is too small.

Anyone work with these before?

Michael,

I haven't seen them, but would a normal pop rivet work?

Ken

Yes, a pop rivet would probably work.

But I'm pretty much opposed to using pop rivets in anything I will allow another person to see, excepting sheet metal repair. They look like shite.

IMO, nothing says "I couldn't figure out the right way to do it" like a pop rivet.

There is a website here

http://classicbells.com/index.htm

They have a lot of info on sleigh bells there and I bet if you emailed DeeAnna she would tell you how to attach the bells.

(and while you are at it, invite her to join the forum)

Clay

Hi Mike,

Rivet setting it on a long anvil that goes up through the bell. However, it is just way easier to run a tap through the hole and screw it on with a Chicago screw (use a little Loctite to be sure).

Art

OK, on a bit of a whim, I decided to order in some sleigh bells to make some holiday gifts.

I ordered in a few different types. The shaft-style bells I can easily see how to mount. make hole in leather big enough for shaft, stick shaft through hole, put brass pin through hole in shaft, bend pin to keep it from coming back out. Not exactly rocket science. The other bells I got are challenging me however. They just have a single hole through the back of the bell. I found references that say they are riveted on, but no good source on *how* to rivet them on. Adding to the confusion is the fact that one three different sizes of this style of bell, there are two different sizes of holes. On two of them, a #12 copper belt rivet might work. On the other, a #10 belt rivet is too small.

Anyone work with these before?

When I do sleigh bells, I simply punch a small hole where I want the bell and run a lace down the back, looping it through the thing on the bell through the hole. Pull the lace tight and fasten it on each end. A knot there, or glue is the simplest, but you can bring it out to the front and do a little decorative buckstitching or something, too. Just get creative!

Kathy

Well, after some research, and some examination, it turns out these specific bells have the holes sized specifically for 3mm pop rivets. So, much as I hate them, it seems the best way to go.

Guess I can't expect too much from inexpensive bells :)