sainte

Hello, this is my first post.

Hello, I am a amateur worker for leather. I have restored a couple of sewing machines and recently I have started to restore an apparently very old Fortuna leather skyving. I am having some difficulty knowing how the lower drag mechanism works, because I have received the machine disassembled. I could upload some photos and I would appreciate it if you could help me.

Edited by Northmount
Removed HTML encoding so text fits the window

28 minutes ago, sainte said:

Hello, I am a amateur worker for leather.
I have restored a couple of sewing machines and recently I have started to restore an apparently very old Fortuna leather skyving.
I am having some difficulty knowing how the lower drag mechanism works, because I have received the machine disassembled.
I could upload some photos and I would appreciate it if you could help me. 
Thanks

Post some pics and we will try and help. You can see mine in use some on you tube links.

@sainte Welcome to the forum. 

Please avoid using HTML encoding in your posts.  Its format doesn't fit the window.  If you are using a translator application to translate to English, copy and paste the text as plain text.

Also moved your post to "leather Sewing Machines"  You will find more help and answers here.

Tom

Edit - actually should be in Leather Machinery - so moved again.  Might get it right someday!

Here are some YouTube videos about setting up a Fortuna ES-50 skiver. It applies to all similar models and brands.

Here is a video about setting up a Fortuna skiver. (could not be embedded here)

Part 2 of above video

Part 3 showing the Fortuna skiver in use.

I found the best change I've done to my skiver is to replace the stone wheel with a plastic/nylon one. I had problems with waste material being drawn back up over the wheel, change of wheel resolved this issue.

Hi Sainte

Please upload some photos. 

I am working on an old Fortuna clone at the moment, and I can probably help you.

Brgds

DanishMan

RockyAussie
Thanks for your quick response. I was watching yours interesting videos on Youtube. I hope someday to adapt an skiver roller foot like yours.

Tom

Thanks for your suggestions. I apologize, I understand what you are saying.

Wizcrafts
Thanks, very interesting videos. I have seen those videos. I would be interested to see what no video shows, and it is the skyving below parts machine !

keithski122
Thank you for the suggestion regarding the change of Stone wheel with a plastic wheel.

DanishMan
Thanks for your help. I hope to see the video soon.

Dear, I attach an image where I show the crank that apparently controls the tension of the strap. I would like to be able to observe its journey through the entire bottom of the machine.
I am in the midst of restoration and I had to assemble these parts to be able to show the parts with the pulleys in question.
I hope soon can show my progress.
Thank you.

detalle de la manivela.jpg

Hi @sainte I am afraid that my old skiving machine appears to be a lot younger than this one of yours. I have done a search and found a little on this type of Fortuna and found this blog that you may find interesting. The last picture shows some of the belt track from underneath. http://bdupres.blogspot.com/2014/06/skiving-skiver.html

I hope that this is of some help and you go on to get it all running. Please share a few pics as you go.

Brian

Dear, I was working on my restoration.

Fortunately I have been able to find a plate where the driver model appears: FORTUNA type K.

I have also been able to assemble the outer part. I attach an image.

I will continue with my work and I will show you my progress.

Brds

pasaje de la correa externo.jpg

Thank you for sharing the progress pictures.  

Nice picture there. I had a look for a manual but as you have no doubt found not so easy. I hope it comes together well and I look forward and thank you for sharing your progress.:thumbsup:

Dear, my skyver had accumulated layers of paint :). What I am doing is completely staining to repaint with polyurethane lacquer. I have previously completely disassembled the entire mechanism!

layers of paint.jpg

@sainte that sure looks like a lot of work :huh:. Not that it matters at this stage but I will recommend keeping in mind that it will be a good idea to split the bell drive separately from the feed stone drive. The bell runs at a fast speed always while the feed can go slow or fast then. Many years ago I had one like yours but they did not have these nice little servo motors around back then so I got rid of it.  

Dear Rocky Aussie, I am an apprentice  working with leather. But I was thinking exactly the same thing about dividing the feed and thus being able to control both speeds.

Thank you  for your help.

Brds

I have completely disassembled the skyver.

Now, after sorting and inspecting each of the pieces, I will begin preparing them for the painting stage.

If someone were to be interested in some aspects related to the processes used for restoration, I can detail them. For example how I have managed to improve the appearance of the damaged screw heads.

Thank you.

Brds

PS: I attach an image with the total disassembly.1235897385_despieceprevioalapintura.thumb.jpg.1d25369089d2f25441a73ef432c8a1d1.jpg

I would love to see how you are restoring and putting it back together.   Were you able to find an old service manual, or? Since you received the machine disassembled.   

Scoutmom103: I am going to try to show as many details of the restoration, emphasizing putting everything back together and without any parts :-)

Unfortunately, and probably because it is a very old model, I could not find the service manual.

Hi Sainte

Sorry for my late response. The mechanism on your machine - to engage the grinding wheel - is different from the skiving machines, that I have had.

So I am unable to help you.

Kind regards

Danishman

DanishMan: My skyver is either a very old model or very very rare. I could not find another like it!

Thanks for your help.

Please, can someone tell me what is the speed (rpm) of the bell blade and on the other hand the speed (rpm) of the drive mechanism of your skyver?.

Thank you

2 hours ago, sainte said:

Please, can someone tell me what is the speed (rpm) of the bell blade and on the other hand the speed (rpm) of the drive mechanism of your skyver?.

Thank you

The bell speed on mine is able to be changed at the pulleys to run faster or slower but as a guide line a normal sewing machine motor will run it and fast is best normally. The manual above that @DanishMan should give you some more clues on that. As far as the feed speed goes.... although it can be set at a constant speed it is usually used like a sewing machine meaning the more foot pressure the faster it goes. When you are doing long strips you want the feed fast and when you are doing little curly stuff you want from 0 to fairly slow. I have seen a few people use 2 servo motors to do it but the bell could be run on a normal set speed motor. Note: the worst thing on these old skivers is if you have too much play up and down on the shaft that drives the bell. If it moves that way you may be wasting your time.

RockyAussie: Thanks for your help once again.

Yes, I am seriously considering your recommendation about use a servo motor for feed speed.

Referring to the up and down play on the bell axis, I already knew that this problem could be, it was one of the first things that I tried to discard before starting the restoration: I think that although my machine is very old and maybe it has been a little battered before, it has had little use! and little wear on the shaft, we will see ... :)

Thank you.

Edited by sainte

Your most welcome and I hope that it all goes well. I will attach a couple of pdf's of some manuals that could help a little in some places. I see that this file may be too large by itself so I will give it a try and see how that 1 goes first.

Fortuna 50 p ag.pdf

another-

dcs-s3.pdf