sainte

Hello, this is my first post.

Thanks RockyAussie

Very useful manuals!

The use of polyester putty and sanding it prior to printing:

This work is very dirty! I have had success with this process, performed on a couple of sewing machines as old as this skyver. So I will try to repeat it this time.

In order to carry out this work, I consider it important to first scratch all the existing paint residues. Then a cleaning to leave dust free and then application of polyester putty.

Lastly, sanding, by using "hard" and "soft" sandpaper blocks, depending on the type of surface, until no roughness "to the touch" is perceived.

masillado antes de la impresion.jpg

Masked and wooden stopper/plug:

A job of about two hours. But important to later have no problems in reassembling.

The use of masking tape; paper; Balsa wood plugs and quite patience.

tapones de madera y enmascarado.jpg

Regarding motor RPM, I recently bought a Fortuna table.

The motor says 1400 rpm, and it has a fairly big pulley wheel. It the skiving machine goes too fast, it will not discard the scrap.

I am restoring two skiving machines at the moment. I am going to fit two motors. A constant speed motor for the knife and a servo motor for the feed wheel.

Kind regards

Søren

bord.jpg

DanishMan: We are on the same boat! :)Your experience helps me a lot! I plan to do exactly the same with regard to independently positioning two motors, one for the fixed speed knife and the other with a frequency inverter for the feet wheel.

Thank you for showing your experience.

Brds

Printing and details:

Today I applied a first coat of printing and then putty of details in those places where it was needed. Also a coat of black paint internally.

Brds

impresion y masillado de detalles.jpg

The number two skiving machine, that I am working on is a clone of yours - 99% identical.

Really interesting, that one can still find new parts for this machine in China and India. I prefer original parts, but they can be very hard to find or 

ridiculously expensive.

What sewing machines have you been working on? I have seven PFAFF machines at the moment - the latest one being a PFAFF 353.

Kind regards

Søren

Hello DanishMan: It is very good news for me to know that there are spare parts for these old FORTUNA skyver! Thank you

On the other hand I want to tell you that I have a friend who is an excellent shoemaker who does not work with any other machine than a PFAFF !! And since we are in a country like Argentina, I have had to make some piece of those beauties! (I attach an image).

I also attach two images of the machines before beginning their restoration. One Necchi type 45 K and one SINGER 31K15

Brds

1.jpg

IMG_20190307_201734590.jpg

IMG_20160521_112204035.jpg

Cool.

My favourite is the PFAFF 145 and the 335

DanishMan: Both Pfaff seem to be excellent! I don't know too much. I have started by restoring machines that I have ever seen in use, doing certain jobs.

With more doubts than certainties. I would like to say that a restoration project like this, in my case, aims at personal achievement and is about "rescuing a machine from oblivion".

Still without the certainty that it will work, I am preparing the engines!

Brds

motores y variador de frecuencia.jpg

Hi There, and welcome, I hope your restoration comes along ok, this maybe sounds stupid, but before restoring a machine which you came by, disassembled!, i would have personally fitted it together before restoration to see if 1- there are any parts missing and 2- if there is excessive wear on the main shaft or bushings etc? I hope i am wrong but a disassembled machine says to me a possible spares machine?? I am sure you will feel satisfied whatever the outcome, the best part of restoring is seeing something useless going to useful. Good luck Sainte.

Edited by jimi

Jimi: Contributions are always welcome, your appreciation is very important!.

I rearmed all the mechanisms that had some difficulty, before starting the painting work, for example those where I had to manufacture parts.

Thank you

Brds

Dear, I have completely disassembled the skyver and I have realized the importance of keeping its parts properly lubricated. For the most part it uses only bushings and some old pillboxes, also my skyver has a gear box, which has a cap.

Question: Please could someone tell me what type of oil should I use for the daily oiling, in the parts where the bushings are and also what lubricant should I put in the box?

Thank you

Brds

I cannot remember seeing any reference to the type of oil in the manual?? I am sure if you asked Fortuna they would tell you what they use in their machines. For oiling points i use normal sewing machine oil and for the box, hydraulic fluid....the stuff stinks! just as well it is sealed in the box. Until now i have had no problems using this, you normally see people stuffing it with grease.

20200702_181048.thumb.jpg.32c01efcfbb8a635ce9d727e8b7ed990.jpg20200702_181223.thumb.jpg.b6b95a4a1559491bfe02b32d0626c3fc.jpg20200702_181041.thumb.jpg.d2eccc480b75ea0c3fd65c5ef0badd42.jpg

jimi: Thank you for your prompt and clear answer.

Brds

Thinking about the position of the elements under the table: I also received the table as a gift along with the machine, but with a single motor.

I was calculating that the blade will have approximately a fixed speed of 1100 rpm.

While the speed of the feeding will be from 0 to 950 rpm approximately.

Brds

adaptación de la mesa.jpg

Some progress: There is little space under the table or the motors are very large! :)

Because there is little space under the table, and before making an iron frame to support both motors in the most suitable position, I am drawing in CAD.

While I have finished painting all the parts.

This time there are no photos! :)

Brds

Those motors do look to be very large to me. Is this because you had them already? You are planning on using a foot control for the feed speed I hope. On my Fortuna it has a fairly heavy foot pedal with a solid shaft to the clutch lever and this allows me to just kick the pedal in a bit if I want to have the speed running continuously. That is fairly rare but does help on repetitive jobs sometimes. This picture shows the foot pedal and shaft.

DSC08054_resize.JPG

RockyAussie: Yes I already had those engines. I also had the frequency inverter to control the feeding speed. I am going to use a load cell with a pedal.

Thank you for your help!.

Brds

Great job!.  

Before going further with some details I want to say that the objective I have is to achieve a restoration close to originality. For this reason the pieces were tried to preserve until they had no chance of having to manufacture them again, as was the case of a piece of the external feeding mechanism (I attach images).

The choice of the original black color responds to what was outlined in the restoration objective.

As a third goal is to make it work!

Brds

pieza dañada a fabricar2.jpg

pieza fabricada1.jpg

pieza fabricada2.jpg

Edited by sainte

Is the piece in the top picture the same piece as the pieces in the pictures below it? If so that is good looking work.

RockyAussie: If it was first drawn in CAD, with the template I cut a piece of cast iron, and it was welded to the part of the piece that was in good condition.

Thank you

Brds

plano de la fieza fabricada.jpg