Still pretty new to making anything beyond basic in leather but have been working to expand my abilities. In discussing this with my daughter I asked her if there was anything she would like me to make for her, she is a Firefighter/EMT in SC, and without hesitation she said "A radio strap". So after a lot of research, learning, trial, and error I made her this one, not perfect but for a first attempt I am happy with it. Still need to make the radio holster once I decide on a design and then off to the rest which will be a surprise for her, belt (partially done in background), suspenders, essentially a full set of leather gear for her. She deserves it!

The straps are two layers bonded and sewn together, one Herman Oak black and one natural. Stitching is a glow in the dark nylon thread. Fittings and rivets are solid brass. Lettering is a red outline with glow in the dark center that I made myself after realizing every commercial one I tried is less than what I would want on my own gear.

rs_no_glow.jpgrs_glow.jpg

Geez it really glows!  What is that thing?  Looks like super luminova that they use on watches

Well done anyway, I think she'll be very proud wearing those :)

Very nice.  Love the glow in the dark thread and the paint.  What a thoughtful touch.

2 hours ago, Spyros said:

Geez it really glows!  What is that thing?  Looks like super luminova that they use on watches

Well done anyway, I think she'll be very proud wearing those :)

Thanks, I think she will be both happy and surprised since I did not tell her what exactly I was going to do for her.

For the glow part, the camera makes it look brighter than it  actually is but it is still very bright. You can charge it and see it even while  in a moderately lit room for a bit. For what it is, I am still tinkering with the formulation of it but it is basically one of way to many suspension mediums I tested with xx percentage of a luminous powder, still nailing the exact best powder for appearance and longevity down but it is akin to Luminova yes. It charges amazingly fast. I did try using regular glow in the dark paints, inks, etc. as well as powders off of Amazon but was really not happy with the glow results results or their appearance while in the light of any of them.

Very nice work! Where did you get the thread? I have a customer who wants glow in dark thread and I can’t find anything bigger than Tex 40. 

On 6/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, airplaneguy said:

Very nice work! Where did you get the thread? I have a customer who wants glow in dark thread and I can’t find anything bigger than Tex 40. 

Thanks, the thread comes as a TEX 240 from here- Sewglow

It is pretty pricey at $39.99 for 250 yards but for my daughter, worth it. I have been looking for another supplier myself but so far have not found one either.

I did cut down on the amount used to try and conserve the thread by using it on the front only and then the back is a standard white.

Thanks for the info.