Kj86

What hardware and tools to find at hardware shop

Hi everyone 

needing a bit of expert advise 

are any of the screws and nails found at the local hardware shops suitable for saddle making?

A the main leather shops are on the other side of the country and with this virus post is taking up to a month to arrive.

I have a budget kids saddle to build and was wondering if I could just pop down to the hardware store for most my needs.

while I am there are there any pliers or other tools to help me out that any one could recommend?

thanks

I guess it depends on the store.  I gripe a lot about not having a true hardware store. All we have is a national chain store. I order almost all of my stainless steel screws and nails from McMaster-Carr.

I'm not sure what tools you want.

Randy

6 minutes ago, rktaylor said:

I guess it depends on the store.  I gripe a lot about not having a true hardware store. All we have is a national chain store. I order almost all of my stainless steel screws and nails from McMaster-Carr.

I'm not sure what tools you want.

Randy

In Australia the main store is Bunnings 

I just need more pliers and hammers (cost a kidney to post) 

Australia is a big country and it would help if I knew which state you where in, for example, if you where in Melbourne I would tell you to have a look at Leffler's, https://www.leffler.com.au/

Maybe be if others will tell you where to look in other states.

Bert.

1 hour ago, Bert51 said:

Australia is a big country and it would help if I knew which state you where in, for example, if you where in Melbourne I would tell you to have a look at Leffler's, https://www.leffler.com.au/

Maybe be if others will tell you where to look in other states.

Bert.

I am in Western Australia all we have is leather direct and that is still 200km drive 

There are a couple of members on the list from W.A., hopefully they will chime in when they can and help you.

I still wish I was in the Pilbara.

Bert.

A few suggestions;

1) I use a regular horseshoeing hammer as a saddlers hammer. It works fine for me.

2) I've seen where others have welded flat bar tabs to the self adjust pliers similar to channel locks to make a workable set of home made cantle pliers.

3) Not sure if you're building a "western" saddle or an "english" one, but the hardware and contact cement for a western one is likely available from a hardware store. You'll want cut tacks of various lengths, SS screws with finish washers, drywall screws or box nails, copper rivets with burs and a handful of other items which are relatively easy to come by in the US at a decent hardware or farm supply store. Not sure if that's the case down under. I have no idea what's required for an english saddle.

Good luck!

Josh

On 6/18/2020 at 10:17 PM, Josh Ashman said:

A few suggestions;

1) I use a regular horseshoeing hammer as a saddlers hammer. It works fine for me.

2) I've seen where others have welded flat bar tabs to the self adjust pliers similar to channel locks to make a workable set of home made cantle pliers.

3) Not sure if you're building a "western" saddle or an "english" one, but the hardware and contact cement for a western one is likely available from a hardware store. You'll want cut tacks of various lengths, SS screws with finish washers, drywall screws or box nails, copper rivets with burs and a handful of other items which are relatively easy to come by in the US at a decent hardware or farm supply store. Not sure if that's the case down under. I have no idea what's required for an english saddle.

Good luck!

Josh

Hi Josh 

Thanks for your input. I am building a barrel saddle from scratch and rebuilding a pleasure/reining saddle too.

your suggestions for screws is a huge help!! The other day when I was at the hardware I was comparing prices of screw and tacks/nails there opposed to leather/saddle supply shops and wow talk about a huge price difference for basically the same thing.

i already get my contact adhesive from the hardware again a big price difference.

Our farm supply stores here don’t seem to stock much other than irrigation supplies, I asked the other week if they had any s/s d rings and they looked at me as if I was speaking a foreign language. 

thanks again for your input 

On 6/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, Bert51 said:

There are a couple of members on the list from W.A., hopefully they will chime in when they can and help you.

I still wish I was in the Pilbara.

Bert.

Hi Bert

thanks I think I have found what I need to find now, well most of it be good if Bunnings actually had any stock in at the moment.

yes the Pilbara is lovely, I am actually planning a road trip up that way very soon to catch up with some family, I can’t wait!!!