bcraig

how to make a cross draw holster ? Need advice

I have a EMF(Pietta)GWII 45 Colt with 4 3/4 inch barrel,(Colt Clone )I would like to make a Cross Draw for for it.

I would like for it to have as much cant as possible(much like a so called driving holster or the Crossdraw holster that Chris Pratt wore on the Magnificent Seven ).

I will be wearing it on my pants belt (A 1.5 inch BETTER GUN BELT http://www.abetterbeltusa.com/rough-rider/ ).

I will be making it using a Piece of Herman Oak Pre cut .

I want to make it using the leather folded over and sewed to make the belt loop as opposed  to making a separate belt loop or using a Mexican loop.

My questions are

How big a piece of pre cut do I need to get ?
I am thinking a piece 10inches by 10 inches will be enough ?

What weight leather will be stiff enough ?
This will not be used as a Competition holster but will be worn on a daily basis (mostly when driving to and from stores or when sitting in a recliner at the house(I am disabled).

About how wide do I need to make the Belt Loop?
Do I need to make it the same width as the body of the holster or ?

Given the extreme cant of the holster, is it possible to have enough retention(given the non strenous activities I will be engaged in ) just by using a good wet molding or will I need to use a loop over the hammer ?

Will I need to used a full length welt or just around the trigger guard?
I am planning on leaving at about half the guard exposed.

Any patterns for a holster like I am talking about ?

Any tips and help much appreciated.

Thanks
bcraig

Edited by bcraig
More questions

Hey, bcraig, . . . there is a holster originated as a driver's self defense holster . . . it's called a "Carjacker".

See the video here:  

The part you want to see mostly is about 2 minutes into it, . . . the two guys are talking about it, . . . and the wearer un-snaps it and takes it off his belt . . . showing you the back side of it and how the two snaps keeps it on your belt at the appropriate angle.

I've made a couple of them . . . may still have my pattern somewhere . . .  don't recall the gun it was for though.

If you are interested in this . . . you can either buy one from the maker as  his info is on the video . . . or PM me and I'll see if I can scrounge up the pattern I have.

But to answer a few of your questions:  I would use 7/8 leather . . . you can probably buy a small single shoulder . . . it is good leather for that type weapon . . .  and should give you plenty enough leather for your project . . . and dollar wise I wouldn't think it would be much more (if any more) than some pre-cut piece you would buy. 

This holster needs enough leather to wrap around your weapon twice and have a good 2 inches extra in length.

Yes . . . do a really tight wet mold . . . let it totally, completely, thoroughly get dried out . . . assemble and sew that dude . . . use only the short welt you can see in the video . . . add a retention screw . . . should be plenty good on retention.

May God bless, 

Dwight

For the retention screw setup try Knifekits.com.  He has everything you need including the T-Nuts and rubber spacer, washers and screws.  

11 hours ago, Dwight said:

Hey, bcraig, . . . there is a holster originated as a driver's self defense holster . . . it's called a "Carjacker".

See the video here:  

The part you want to see mostly is about 2 minutes into it, . . . the two guys are talking about it, . . . and the wearer un-snaps it and takes it off his belt . . . showing you the back side of it and how the two snaps keeps it on your belt at the appropriate angle.

I've made a couple of them . . . may still have my pattern somewhere . . .  don't recall the gun it was for though.

If you are interested in this . . . you can either buy one from the maker as  his info is on the video . . . or PM me and I'll see if I can scrounge up the pattern I have.

But to answer a few of your questions:  I would use 7/8 leather . . . you can probably buy a small single shoulder . . . it is good leather for that type weapon . . .  and should give you plenty enough leather for your project . . . and dollar wise I wouldn't think it would be much more (if any more) than some pre-cut piece you would buy. 

This holster needs enough leather to wrap around your weapon twice and have a good 2 inches extra in length.

Yes . . . do a really tight wet mold . . . let it totally, completely, thoroughly get dried out . . . assemble and sew that dude . . . use only the short welt you can see in the video . . . add a retention screw . . . should be plenty good on retention.

May God bless, 

Dwight

Hey Dwight ,doing alright?
I have a Gen 4 Glock 21 that would work great with that holster !
I will send you a PM .

For  the Single action EMF(Pietta)GW II (Colt clone )45 Colt I am going to go with a More traditional style Cross draw with approximately the same cant as The Andrews holster ,maybe with an Inch or two drop from my belt to move the gun Butt lower and away from my gut for comfort,but I dont know how to lay out the pattern for that.
I have a copy of Al Stohlmans how to Make holsters on my computer but I am getting confuzzled on how to get the Propper fold over of the belt Loop.
I tried making a pattern out of paper last night but the loop when folded over is plenty wide (over 2.5  inches) at the top of the fold but taper at the bottom of the piece is not but a little over an inch wide .
Suggestions ?

10 hours ago, AzShooter said:

For the retention screw setup try Knifekits.com.  He has everything you need including the T-Nuts and rubber spacer, washers and screws.  

Thanks for the link

Hello bcraig,

Here is a picture of a finished holster and of the leather before it was dyed and assembled. The more the belt loop portion angles in towards what will be the top of the holster the steeper the cant. this was built for a wider cartridge belt but it's the same for a pants belt. As to your other questions, as always personal preference will dictate however here are some of my thoughts; figure your paper patter prior to ordering your precut and you'll know for sure if your OK. My guess is 10" square is probably OK for a 4-3/4" SAA clone. I'd use 10/11 but a good 8/9 is probably fine. I usually try to have the belt loop portion 2" to 2-1/2" wide at the top of the fold. I like a hammer thong for retention. Easy to add it in and easy to not use it if you don't want it. I use a full welt on this type of holster, nothing wrong with a partial welt, just preference. 

Hopefully this is helpful, good luck on your project! 

Josh

IMG_20200115_080343053.jpg

IMG_20200111_084055167.jpg

8 hours ago, Josh Ashman said:

Hello bcraig,

Here is a picture of a finished holster and of the leather before it was dyed and assembled. The more the belt loop portion angles in towards what will be the top of the holster the steeper the cant. this was built for a wider cartridge belt but it's the same for a pants belt. As to your other questions, as always personal preference will dictate however here are some of my thoughts; figure your paper patter prior to ordering your precut and you'll know for sure if your OK. My guess is 10" square is probably OK for a 4-3/4" SAA clone. I'd use 10/11 but a good 8/9 is probably fine. I usually try to have the belt loop portion 2" to 2-1/2" wide at the top of the fold. I like a hammer thong for retention. Easy to add it in and easy to not use it if you don't want it. I use a full welt on this type of holster, nothing wrong with a partial welt, just preference. 

Hopefully this is helpful, good luck on your project! 

Josh

IMG_20200115_080343053.jpg

IMG_20200111_084055167.jpg

Hi Josh
I like the way that your holster looks .

Thanks for your advice.

I am sending you a Pm

Thanks 
Craig

As a rule, I like Sam's holsters.  But this was just  a bad design... if you don't know why... make one and  you'll see ;)

Here is a previous discussion here on this forum of the Chris Pratt crossdraw holster. Also, the old Al Stohlman book “ how to make holsters” gives details on correct cant for crossdraw. 

Here is my poor lefty attempt:

10 oz double shoulder from Tandy. 

Vinagroon finish plus Neatsfoot oil. 

For 5.5 inch Single Seven.

D82B0D7F-B4F6-4CEF-994C-7DDE4638C4B8.jpeg

Edited by 327fed

This is one I did a while back for a Ruger GP100 in 357 with a 4" barrel. I did a flat back holster and sewed a belt tunnel on the back. I think it worked out pretty well.

20201106_142808.jpg

20201106_142836.jpg

20201107_172430.jpg

I’m trying to contact Dwight a pastor located in central Ohio about a pattern for an Andrews custom leather holster, I’m inquiring about the carjacker holster. I’m wanting to know if he still has the pattern for this style of holster and if I could possibly be able to get a copy of the pattern. I would be willing to pay for a copy of this pattern if he still has the pattern. Please let me know if this is possible.        Thanks                

I dont know if this helps, I have a rig with a crossdraw and matching regular draw that I built at the same time so I could match them a best as possible. The cut leather on the botton is the crossdraw. Notice how the skirt angles so much compared to the strait draw. I dont think you can get more angle than my setup without sewing the belt loop at the steeper angle?

As a side note, remember, if your not going to build a specific belt for the holster youll have to mostly remove your belt from the pants loops and loop the holster in unless your left handed. The cross draw holster goes on your hip on the buckle end of the belt. 

KIMG2068.JPG

KIMG2073.JPG

KIMG2078.JPG

On 1/14/2024 at 12:48 PM, Buffman said:

I’m trying to contact Dwight a pastor located in central Ohio about a pattern for an Andrews custom leather holster, I’m inquiring about the carjacker holster. I’m wanting to know if he still has the pattern for this style of holster and if I could possibly be able to get a copy of the pattern. I would be willing to pay for a copy of this pattern if he still has the pattern. Please let me know if this is possible.        Thanks                

He is nearer the top of this thread https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/90362-how-to-make-a-cross-draw-holster-need-advice/?do=findComment&comment=619330

To tag someone so they get a notification either quote part of their post, or type the @ symbol followed by username like this

@Dwight and pick the name from the popup list.