JHBH2

Heavy weight industrial thread in the UK?

I can't seem to find any bonded nylon thread from within the UK that's thicker than TEX70 (#69). 

Ideally, I want some industrial spools (1500 yards+) to use on my sewing machine but I can't find a single place within the UK (or even Europe) that sells them; best I can find is little hand sewing spools of 250m. 

Any ideas?

Shipping from the USA is REALLY expensive (bizarre, as UK --> USA shipping is perfectly reasonable) so if I can buy local I will. 

You may have better luck searching using TKT sizing, as that's typically what we use this side of the pond. TKT20 (sometimes just "20s" or "size 20") is equivalent to v138, which is probably near the top of what your machine can handle. It's roughly twice the size of TKT40/V69 thread, and one size smaller than 18/3 linen. I mostly get Coats Nylbond from Abbey England, which is about £12 per 1500m cop, but you can get similar from ebay or Le Prevo too.

Edited by Matt S

Ebay is full of Tkt20 threads and in quite a few colours you can also get bonded polyester at solent sailing in a few colours

This is great - thank you. I fell into a thread size rabbit hole on Google and got VERY confused about sizing! 

Hi there,

I managed to order a set of nylon bonded coats indutrial from A&N trimmings when I lived in London. 

They don't love doing small single orders, you kind of need to get the right person on the phone and they check then and there what is available. 

https://www.antrimm.co.uk/threads 

The threads are great! I am still using them. There was maybe black and white threads only in the various leather supply shops in London but these guys were the only ones I could manage to get the right stuff in a range of colours without being a full corporate customer. 

welcome,

Just something to consider if  you want to ship things.... 

>depending on how you ship, you maybe able to get by inexpensively.

> you need to remember about the exchange rate.

> ive shipped stuff back home from most of my travels and that includes the UK.   But for me and the exchange rate, it was more due the value of the USD vs GBP or lack of.

> so if you can look at other countries on your continent where the GBP is in your favor you maybe able to get some reasonable shipping.  When i was in Prague, i was shipping shoe box size of things back to the USA for about 30 USD. 

> Also so far in most of the places i have visited i have used the local Post Office.   I think in Germany DHL is their local Post Office, so i used them too ,but as you know they are on the Euro.   

> Also most if not all of the places i have used the local Post Office, they had options of Express or Economy.  Of course i used Economy.   And i have yet to have any 1 package to get lost.