victorl

Cue Case Build

Spent my time stuck at home for the past few months on my first attempt at building a cue case.  Most of the ideas are borrowed from the popular cue case makers, like Jack Justis and J. Flowers.  I used Tochigi vegtan leather, and the colors are natural /mahogany. 

It was my first time doing a project this large, so it was pretty challenging, but it turned out pretty decent I think.

IMG_20200614_023001.jpg.9f4aade8a9e30ba8124879b810a76f25.jpg

IMG_20200614_023029.jpg

IMG_20200614_023533.jpg

IMG_20200614_023058.jpg

IMG_20200506_171319_resized_20200510_100011356.jpg

IMG_20200526_081957.jpg

IMG_20200614_023146.jpg

it doesn't get much better than that. Really nice work

Very nice!

Nice job!

Really nice.  

This has a lot of different elements, each requiring different approaches and skills. Looks like you handled it nicely.

Beautiful.

Looks great, but is the bottom just glued in?

1 hour ago, Ragingstallion said:

Looks great, but is the bottom just glued in?

It's glued together, then screwed into place. The screws attaching the rubber feet are extra long so they go right through the leather bottom and into a wooden plate that is mounted to the bottom of the inner tubing.

17 hours ago, Retswerb said:

This has a lot of different elements, each requiring different approaches and skills. Looks like you handled it nicely.

Yes, it was definitely a lot more work than I expected.  Nothing really went according to plan, so I was constantly making changes and adjustments to the original plan.  Even just getting the right hardware and the correct tools for them was a lot more complicated than I thought, but it was a great learning experience. 

Some things I would do change for a future project:

- Add more volume to the pocket for more storage and ease of use.  

- Use block-dyeing and antiquing to better highlight the tooling.

- Measure and sew everything while the body is still flat and unformed to make sewing easier.

- Get some better thread for cleaner and easier sewing. (I used waxed hemp thread for this project)

- Get a electric burnishing tool to save time.  I don't want to think about how many hours I spent just on sanding and burnishing edges.

Very nice.

Very Nice indeed!!!  Where did you get the inside of the case?

I've got two old George Pool Cue cases myself and they have a plastic frame which is wrapped in leather.

Great Work!!!

Vikefan

1 hour ago, Vikefan said:

Very Nice indeed!!!  Where did you get the inside of the case?

I've got two old George Pool Cue cases myself and they have a plastic frame which is wrapped in leather.

Great Work!!!

Vikefan

Thank you! 

I love those old George cases, simple but super classy.

To answer your question the interior is just molded foam tubing taken from an old case.  It's not the greatest protection, but it weighs next to nothing so the case is super light at around 3.5 pounds.  But, if I ever do another case, I will probably use one of those Ultrapad interiors that John Barton sells on his site.

FB_IMG_1592639505495.jpg

Beautiful work. Not to distract from your leather work, but I noticed one of your cues looks like an old Dale Perry, is that correct?

58 minutes ago, sparctek said:

Beautiful work. Not to distract from your leather work, but I noticed one of your cues looks like an old Dale Perry, is that correct?

Thanks for the comment. It does kind of look like an older Dale Perry, but it's actually an early 90's Falcon.  The other cue is a custom Lomax jump/break.

Very nice. I've thought about making a leather cue case, I just haven't taken the plunge. I have a couple of the old George cases that i still use and really like them.

To be honest cue case making is what got me into leather working and lead me to this site by searching for cue case building.  I've yet to start one though. There are some old threads on this site from JB and Melton.  Your case looks really nice and better than some of the early Justice cases in my opinion. 

For your thread choice, if you are hand sewing, I don't think anything is better than Tiger thread.  I've been looking a pro edge burnishers but not sure if I want to go the drill press route or benching grinder burnishers.

Great job on the case.

Scootch

From the comments, it looks like there are quite a few people here who want to make their own cue cases.  I would definitely love to see what you guys come up with, and it would definitely get me motivated to do another case as well. 

I have some other cue case ideas I want to try as well, such as an envelope or quiver-style case, but wanted to make sure I could build a standard case first before attempting something original.