jrprottas

Burning thread

I give up. I've used a bic lighter but seem to get carbon stains on the leather, and have used 2 of the thread zappers that are too fragile and pour thru batteries.  Does anyone use a soldering iron or wood burning tool to singe their thread ends? Are there any other worthwhile alternatives??

@jrprottas This is what I use, I use them all the time, for threads, webbing etc. like a mini blow torch.   I've tried the ciggy lighters, but the flames can be either too big or too small,even after adjustment and can make a mess sometimes with carbon. Lighters can burn your fingers too. 

With these, I don't put it up close to the job or it will  burn everything, they are that hot, usually around 2-3" away , or more. One quick ' burst'  on a thread end and thats it. No mess no carbon stains, and no burnt fingers  :)

https://www.toolmart.com.au/hot-devil-h08cd.html 

There may be similar products over your way. If you do get one, practice  first to get the distance right. 

Hope that helps

HS

I recently started using a thread zapper II. When I first got it I used Costco batteries and, just like you, I went through batteries left and right. I then purchased some eneloop rechargeable batteries and now one battery runs a long time. In fact, I was able to finish my last project using just one battery without a recharge. As for fragility, I have never noticed that problem.

If you prefer a lighter, try a butane lighter. There is no soot, but it still sometimes chars the leather and is difficult to get into tight spaces.

28 minutes ago, GatoGordo said:

I recently started using a thread zapper II. When I first got it I used Costco batteries and, just like you, I went through batteries left and right. I then purchased some eneloop rechargeable batteries and now one battery runs a long time. In fact, I was able to finish my last project using just one battery without a recharge. As for fragility, I have never noticed that problem.

If you prefer a lighter, try a butane lighter. There is no soot, but it still sometimes chars the leather and is difficult to get into tight spaces.

The tiny wire filament bends, gets clogged up with melted thread and breaks too often

Does the zapper 2 have a sturdier heating element?

21 minutes ago, jrprottas said:

Does the zapper 2 have a sturdier heating element?

Not sure if sturdier, but can be purchased separately. Right now at Amazon, the tips are 2 for $3.99.