Adler 30-70 advice

Newly acquired minty 30-70 is sticky in the foot rotation. Much of the rotation is fairly ok but definitely seems it should turn much easier and smoother.  Normally I dive right in and disassemble things but feel a bit intimidated by this one. So my question is how to get the rotating parts out for cleaning?  

6AF92139-786A-4D83-8D38-608C843A80F5.jpeg

Edited by 24602

I have a mechanics instruction for the Class Adler 30 but file is too big to attach here. Send me you email address by PM and and I can forward it to you.

Basically you have to remove the tapered pin which attaches the needle bar to the slide piece on the lever arm tip (hammer it out back to front - in best case 1 gentle but feisty hammer strike should do it), loosen the stop thumb screw on the front side of the head (if present if not go ahead) then remove the 4 screws which hold the head to the main casting. Now the head is free. Pull out the needle bar from the bottom side. Then remove 2 small screws you see on the round cap piece the needle bar goes through. When done you should be able to pull out the revolving inner part from the bottom or push out from the top.

Before you go tearing it apart you should try putting some good penetrating fluid around the outer part of the washer w/2 screws in it @ the needlebar should free it up.

I agree Bob.   Put the oil to her and let it sit.  The penetrating oil will loosen up any old oil, grease, dirt. etc.

glenn

2 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Before you go tearing it apart you should try putting some good penetrating fluid around the outer part of the washer w/2 screws in it @ the needlebar should free it up.

What is ‘good’ penetrating fluid?  I’ve been putting oil down there and it seems to get a little better but goes back to sticky after a bit of spinning the wings. 

Another thing I’m not sure how to fix without decreasing character and value is the rust on the lower step of the table. Assuming there is no Adler green paint I thought to just cut a thin rubber mat to cover it. What would y’all do?

C9B3EFD9-5479-43B0-A1AE-45F35D9FE398.jpeg

1 hour ago, 24602 said:

What is ‘good’ penetrating fluid?  I’ve been putting oil down there and it seems to get a little better but goes back to sticky after a bit of spinning the wings. 

PB blaster or WD40 should dissolve the old oil & free it up.

The rust on the stand should be wire wheeled or sandblasted.  You also should try Evapo Rust. Great stuff.   If it was me and I rebuild these machines, I would disassemble the stand, de-rust it,  get an automotive paint mixed to duplicate the color, paint it and re-assemble it.  Looks great and increases the value of the whole machine.  It needs a drawer and i have the plans to make one as well as a couple on the Adler stands

I have,

glenn

thanks Glenn,  you cannot see it because it blends into the cabinet behind but it does have the drawer. I found it in a box of stuff  the seller gave to me. 

Thanks for the paint idea.

The foot rotation does not want to loosen up.  I’ve been giving it the wd-40 and turning it around but it isn’t changing. Actually it gets worse at times. It doesn’t help I’m not sure what it should be like but I’m sure it shouldn’t be as tight as it is and shouldn’t get tighter at times. Any advice.

Some other cool stuff I found in the boxes of stuff that came with the machine. 

There were a couple of other non Adler (maybe not even sewing related) items as well.  Maybe will show some photos in another thread to see if anyone knows what they are for.

28B355FD-E6BC-4859-860D-F2C1647869B3.jpeg

I have done a few stuck  Singer Patchers without having to disassemble. Oil her up good and keep rotating. So much so that it drips. 

Try on thing.  Loosen the thumb screw in front  a that lock the machine foot from rotating.  Sometimes they are screw up a little to far for the foot to rotate.

glenn

On 6/27/2020 at 12:54 AM, 24602 said:

thanks Glenn,  you cannot see it because it blends into the cabinet behind but it does have the drawer. I found it in a box of stuff  the seller gave to me. 

Thanks for the paint idea.

The foot rotation does not want to loosen up.  I’ve been giving it the wd-40 and turning it around but it isn’t changing. Actually it gets worse at times. It doesn’t help I’m not sure what it should be like but I’m sure it shouldn’t be as tight as it is and shouldn’t get tighter at times. Any advice.

Since it isn't loosening up yet,you could try to take the head off the stand & lay it on the backside then take the thumbscrew off the head(the one that locks it so it won't rotate) & spray WD in there,you'll be able to get more in it & then spin it again.

Not wanting to add doom and gloom to this topic, but I thought I should mention that if the little paddle shaped thread control spring inside the head is bent out of alignment it will drag as you revolve the head. If you listen carefully while revolving the butterfly handles, you might hear the sound of metal scraping against metal in certain points of rotation. The spring lives just above the needle mounting block.

Replacing this spring is a work of art in itself. I don't have time to go into it now.

15 hours ago, Old Coach Saddlery said:

I have done a few stuck  Singer Patchers without having to disassemble. Oil her up good and keep rotating. So much so that it drips. 

You know the scenario - you’ve got sick child. You wait and wait not wanting to go to the dr. Once you make the appointment the child turns the corner and is on the mend. I threatened to take apart and it finally let loose. Still one stickyish spot in the rotation but it will get there. 

Neat machine. Going to thread it today and see how it stitches. It came with a bunch of needles. 120,130,140,160, and 180. Box of thread also but mostly unlabeled so I mine not sure if there’s anything in the box to fit the big 180 needle. According to Bob’s needle/thread chart that would be between a 207 and 277. Will this machine take thread that big?

1 hour ago, 24602 said:

Will this machine take thread that big?

some do some don't. I have seen an OEM manual where its mentioned that the machine is sewn off in the factory with #11/3 metric thread which is equal to 207. Needle plate hole has to be wide enough and the thread hole in the hook as well to run 207.  Some other fine tuning may be required. 138 is possible all day but 207... you never know... I would not expect it.

8 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

some do some don't. I have seen an OEM manual where its mentioned that the machine is sewn off in the factory with #11/3 metric thread which is equal to 207. Needle plate hole has to be wide enough and the thread hole in the hook as well to run 207.  Some other fine tuning may be required. 138 is possible all day but 207... you never know... I would not expect it.

So what would you guess someone was doing with 160 and 180 needles? 

maybe it is set up for 207 - I don´t know. Sometimes needles from different machines mix up and find their way into the wrong accessory box. You would not believe what I found in accessory boxes. Best find was a Luger 08 wrench / take down tool (not kidding).

Edited by Constabulary

1 hour ago, Constabulary said:

maybe it is set up for 207 - I don´t know. Sometimes needles from different machines mix up and find their way into the wrong accessory box. You would not believe what I found in accessory boxes. Best find was a Luger 08 wrench / take down tool (not kidding).

Treasure finds are so fun!

So the sticky point is gone. The butterfly turns smooth all the way around. Cleaned up the wd-40, oiled, threaded, and stitched a decent stitch. Will work on tensions and larger thread possibilities. It does have the second set of tensioning discs that the manual said was subclass for heavier thread. The treadle belt is a little loose so will need to trim and tighten that up. 

A little more show and tell:

AB296907-98BA-4D47-9C03-EE282944E238.jpeg.08a07a2d2df693a2fcf2d97e95c24f34.jpegOriginal plastic cover. Prety good shape other than the stitching has let go. Will hand sew it back together. 9674FC47-FFA7-4063-85AE-D6CB94FC2B01.jpeg.e57e3a47fc430101b84b4bef7a1a103d.jpeg

Adler oil bottle. AA553975-42B1-47B0-BEF4-ADBF80955E6B.jpeg.e5c8214034f3783acbc5f2e9747d3f8f.jpegE14FD8BE-D1AE-4CEC-B1A7-35E7979355B3.jpeg.5f5f4586072789c374934efbdcdaa9a5.jpeg

I’m assuming this was the test stitching from the factory. I think it says: Nachkodrolle 3. Can’t make out the letters between the o and r very well. Also seems like it was sewn off with fairly heavy thread. Didn’t realize what this was til just a few minutes ago. 

Edited by 24602

Likely unrelated but i have no idea. These two paddles were in the boxes of stuff. Any idea what they are and what they do. 

B6352C2C-9579-4689-B824-FBFD816213F3.jpeg

72629CCE-F570-45DF-9F46-276D8DA51D72.jpeg

A05789_l.1.jpg_resized_380_.jpeg.4d77c306fd1f527d17992c87527ed7ed.jpegThey look like they are for Butter? Butter pats.

Edited by jimi

Glad you got it moving freely. I have a 30-70 I picked up about a year ago. I have it set up with 138 thread. They are such nice machines. You are going to love it.

15 minutes ago, Old Coach Saddlery said:

Glad you got it moving freely. I have a 30-70 I picked up about a year ago. I have it set up with 138 thread. They are such nice machines. You are going to love it.

What do you do with it?  I normally would not have chosen it but it was too good of a deal to pass up. 

5 hours ago, 24602 said:

What do you do with it?  I normally would not have chosen it but it was too good of a deal to pass up. 

I have an Adler 30-7 in my shop. On Saturday I used it to sew a patch onto the front of a customer's ball cap. I also use it to sew patches over pockets. It is busy working on sewing 43 patches onto a biker's vest. It is really just a repairs machine, for fixing things that are in hard to reach locations.

A full bobbin of #138 thread might sew 5 belts or rifle slings. I don't use heavy thread in mine, just #69 or #92 bonded thread. Most of my needles are #18 through #22. I normally have a #19 or #20 needle in it. I do have a few #24 needles in case I need to use it for a short run of #207 thread, but haven't done that yet. I have a Cowboy CB4500 for that thread.