Sign in to follow this  
Alexis1234

Integrity of an old tree

I was gifted an 1880's/90's  catalog sidesaddle in poor condition  that I have been wanting to take on as a project since I got it( several years ago). Besides obvious rot, breaks, etc how do I determine if the tree is even sound enough to be worth rebuilding? How old is too old and can you fix certain things? Any books recommended before I begin this? Thanks for any input.

One thing to check for is wood-worm. I was once given an old saddle. Someone thought I'd be interested in restoring it. But it was absolutely full of wood worm holes right through the leather. Just some shoving and pulling proved that the wood tree was only being held together by the remains of the leather. I did strip part of it back and the tree just crumbled away. I dumped it all. With mild word worm wood can be infused with polyester resin to fill the holes, pores and strengthen it. 

poke it with your awl.  if the wood is soft and crumbly . salvage the hardware and toss it in the burn barrel 

The only real way you will know for sure if the tree is sound enough to use safely is to strip it down and have a good for yourself or get someone to have a look for you.

Even if it is passed it's sell by date of being a saddle you can still use safely it may be ok as a project to rebuild as a show piece saddle to show case your work.

Hope this helps

JCUK

Thank you for the responses. I thought no one responded to this. I have stripped saddle. Looks like tree will at least hold tacks. I have ordered supplies and will post pics of progress.  If nothing else, it will be a learning experience.