I've been doing a lot of give away leather covers for & with Journals ( Office Max etc ), and books. The general pattern is adding 1 Inch to both the height and width of book and then make two pockets fastened with perimeter lacing around the cover edges. The pockets can slip a bit when I use the cover slits as a template so I use bread ties to keep in relative position. However...Slippage still occurs. Watching other U-Tube leathercrafters using sewing techniques they often use glue on edges. That looks like a great solution, but I want to be able to use Hide Restorer in these zones since they are most exposed to weather, etc. That brings me to the question 'Is it possible to use an adhesive while punching lace slits ( 1/4" ) and then remove it to allow application of restorers?'  If so, what can be recommended?'

I lace a lot of bible, journals, day planners, etc.  and I glue down the edges during assembly then lace but I have never used any kind of hide restorer so I have never needed to remove the glue nor would I want to.  I have some journals and bible covers that I made over 30 years ago that are still in decent shape made that way so why the hide restorer?  Maybe I am missing something but I have never used hide restorer on anything.  To the best of my knowledge it’s made to bring some life back to dry heavily used leather.and bibles, journal covers, etc. are usually not exposed much to the elements, if they are someone isn’t taking proper care of them.