Paultalks

ISO of Zippers for Project

About 28 years back, I purchased a bag of blanks from my local Tandy store. I was going to use them for practice. Well I came across them and decided to try and make them as purses and give them away. I have like 22 pre-cut and punched sets, but no zippers. I am looking for zippers. The top area of the purse measure 4" where the zipper mechanism would go. I don't know if I need a 4" or 5". Regardless I cannot locate a vendor that sells this size zipper. I believe the zipper is nylon. Any help would be greatly appreciated.    Picture 2 of 3

Where you are located would help us inform you where to buy.

My supplier measures zips by the actual zip, therefore a 4 inch will be 4 inch zip plus about 1/2 inch extra material on each end. I believe most haberdashers measure zips the same way

With that many kits to build, wouldn't it make more sense to buy the zippers in bulk? Purchasing 13 feet of chain and 22 sliders then cutting to length would have to be easier and cheaper than trying to purchase 22 completed zippers and hoping they are the correct length.

I just check my suppliers prices. 5 off 4 inch zips, brown in colour, £3. Thats £12 for 20, or 60p each

Cost of zip length, stops, etc and the time to cut and assemble 20 doesn't compare at all well at that price.

Folks, Thank you all for the replies. I am located in Palm Beach County FL.

yes, put a location in your profile.

rant on....people that join boards and dont put a location doesnt help those that are trying to help....rant off and not just leatherworkers.

but you can look at bulk zipper and just add the pull.  IMO you dont need to have precut zippers with ends.  you can buy whatever you can estimate you will need and jsut fudge to have some extra in case you screw up.  And then just buy zipper pulls.

Thank you. I updated profile with my location. Regarding the zippers. My elderly mother is going to sew these in for me, due to my physical impairments. I don't have the strength and control in my hands to assemble bulk zippers. I can work with the leather like hand lace/sew and tool, but only for maybe 5 minutes at a time then I need to rest for an hour or two. 4" nylon zipper is what was used in the kit. Thank you all again.

Blue Duck, Thanks, I actually have not purchased any as of this time, but I will check them out. I am looking for a good inexpensive leather sewing machine before I embark on this.

Thanks again