Jerr

Looking for an educated suggestion-buying a machine

Hello,

I have finally gotten to the point that hand stitching is not that fun anymore, and as such I am purchasing a sewing machine. I read a lot of topics on here about the varying types and that helped me avoid the trap of purchasing a home machine that claims it can do leather(Thank you). I now know I absolutely have to get an industrial machine either manual or with a motor. I also know that based on what I read a triple feed sounds like it is the way to go. However I still have uncertainty over what it is I need, with these machines varying from $700-$5,000 I have a fear of "over buying" and never really using what I paid a premium for or "under buying" and getting something that doesn't do what I want. I was hoping I could lay out here my intended uses, budget, and expected frequency of use and get some suggestions from more experienced and educated minds because looking at all these machines they are starting to all blend together with the various terminology, Id like to get a few suggestions and focus on those. I was very close to purchasing a tippman boss or the very similar cowboy that I noticed Tandy replaced the tippman with. However I was hesitant since the pricing was so close to those with motors. I am not sure if they are worth it to me since I never intend to travel with my machine, all work is done at my home. Any suggestions to narrow my research would be appreciated.

Budget: $1000-1500

Product: Gun holsters and knife sheaths primarily and probably no thicker than those, would like the ability to do lighter leather as well. Gun holsters and knife sheaths interest me the most but I eventually want to do purses and other items.

Usage: I don't plan to make something every day, or even every week but a few items a month is where I would like to be. I don't do this professionally but I enjoy making things and selling them to fund new projects. I am new to this and so far have stuck to kits and easy items but I do plan with this machine to start doing my own designs.

Bonus question: If I get a heavy duty machine, is it also capable of doing softer ligher items like wallets and purses or would it be strictly for the heavy stuff and I would need a home machine as well?

29 minutes ago, Jerr said:

Budget: $1000-1500

Product: Gun holsters and knife sheaths primarily and probably no thicker than those, would like the ability to do lighter leather as well. Gun holsters and knife sheaths interest me the most but I eventually want to do purses and other items.

Either a Cobra 4 or a Cowboy CB4500. You are going to have a hard time finding them in your budget but you are close on a used one. You see them pop up in the $2200 range on this site and some of the trade forums on FB. While you are saving up watch for one close to you.  They are beasts and are expensive to ship. You also may want to call The leather machine co for Cobras and Toledo sewing for Cowboy. they are both basically the same machine so it comes down to which is closer to you for shipping. I know LMC usually has some used ones available to. Both dealers are top notch and neither will sell you more than you need.

You will need two separate machines one for holsters and heavy stuff and one for wallets and lighter stuff!  Sorry but that’s the way it is.  I have two cowboy machines, love them both cb3200 and cb0797.  Best of luck in your endeavors 

I sew wallets, vests, phone cases and jackets on a compound feed walking foot machine. It takes thread up to #138 and maxes out at about 3/8 inch of soft to medium temper leather, webbing, canvas, denim, or vinyl. It can sew wallet interiors down to about about 2 or 3 ounces with #46 or 69 bonded thread.

All of our holsters, knife sheathes, work gear, gun belts and tow straps are sewn on a Cowboy CB4500, using anywhere from #138 through #415 bonded thread. The thickest I've sewn with it is 7/8 inch. The thinnest would be about 6 ounces, after dumbing it down for thinner thread and a smaller, more easily deflected needle.

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I sew wallets, vests, phone cases and jackets on a compound feed walking foot machine. It takes thread up to #138 and maxes out at about 3/8 inch of soft to medium temper leather, webbing, canvas, denim, or vinyl. It can sew wallet interiors down to about about 2 or 3 ounces with #46 or 69 bonded thread.

All of our holsters, knife sheathes, work gear, gun belts and tow straps are sewn on a Cowboy CB4500, using anywhere from #138 through #415 bonded thread. The thickest I've sewn with it is 7/8 inch. The thinnest would be about 6 ounces, after dumbing it down for thinner thread and a smaller, more easily deflected needle.

So then would you think it is fair to say the Cowboy Outlaw would be able to do both holsters/sheaths and the smaller items like wallets,vests, etc. Since it is listed as being able to use #69 thru #346? (it also states possibly 415, not sure why it's only possibly) 

3 hours ago, Jerr said:

So then would you think it is fair to say the Cowboy Outlaw would be able to do both holsters/sheaths and the smaller items like wallets,vests, etc. Since it is listed as being able to use #69 thru #346? (it also states possibly 415, not sure why it's only possibly) 

I'll defer to somebody who has that machine. However, it is a manually cranked machine that requires your right hand on the wheel. That leaves one hand to guide the work.