howlback

I want to learn how to make braided hobbles

I’d like to start braiding hobbles. I have only done a few hobble rings and buttons for my headstalls. Are there any resources that walk me through how to construct a set of braided hobbles?

Edited by howlback

do you have any of bruce grants books...i believe does show hobbles in a couple of the books.

1 hour ago, roo4u said:

do you have any of bruce grants books...i believe does show hobbles in a couple of the books.

I have the condensed version. I don’t think I saw them in there but I will check again

Hello

I have his books, they are in "how to make cowboy horse gear".  I could take a photo of the pages .....

18 minutes ago, marronne said:

Hello

I have his books, they are in "how to make cowboy horse gear".  I could take a photo of the pages .....

That would help out tremendously! Unfortunately, “Braiding rawhide horse tack” by Robert L Woolery didn’t go into too great or detail

OK, I'll send them through today .... ;)

I had some problems uploading the photos as I wanted to keep them a good quality but reduce the size, so I ended up sending 2 or 3 at a time in a post.  As a result, they're a bit out of order so here is the correct order, I've quoted the first few words of eachpage as you can't always see the page numbers :crazy:

P111 - "The simple types of hobbles" (text page)

P112 - "How to make cowboy horse gear" (text page"

P113 - Plate 34 "how to make simple types of hobbles" (diagrams)

P114 - "How to make a pair of braided gaucho hobbles" (text page)

P115 - Plate 35 "how to make a pair of braided gaucho hobbles" (diagrams)

P116 - "how to make cowboy horse gear" (text and photo of gaucho hobbles)

P117 - Plate 36 "how to make a pair of braided hobbles" (text and photo of hobbles by John Conrad)

P118 - Plate 36 "how to make a pair of braided hobbles" (diagrams)

P119 - "how to make a pair of braided hobbles" (text page)

https://www.amazon.com/Bruce-Grant/e/B001KIJKUM%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

I have "How to make cowboy horse gear" and "Leather Braiding".  Both have been really useful. You have to get used to his wonderful way of speaking but they're really good books - always referring to them.  

This might help you in transitioning from a round braid to a flat braid

Thank you @marronne and everyone else! This should help me move to the next step. I came down with the braiding bug pretty quick :)

Howlback,  If you like braiding then try making a whip

I have made a few.  they are time consuming and fun to do..

@marronne The section I was after, "How To Make A Pair Of Braided Hobbles" refers to the following:

Plate 5: Spanish Ring Knot

Plate 8: 8-string braid 

Plate 14: Covering a metal ring

Plate 30: Terminal turk's-head knot

Plate 37: Lone Star Knot 

Would it be possible to get pictures of those?

Cheers!

P.S. I plan on grabbing my own copy of this book but I'm anxious to get started right away :)

I'm having a little trouble deciphering what he means on the red steps:

1) Take eight 1/8” rawhide strings, each 56 inches long

2) Middle them and from this point measure off four inches

3) Start an 8-string braid (Plate 8) here, working back toward the middle of the strings and beyond until you have six inches of the braid (this will form the loop for your button).

My interpretation is, find at 24" (which is the middle minus four inches) start an 8-string braid

Edited by howlback

Braid.jpg

I take it this was the desired affect, a six in braid in the center of the strands. I did an 8 strand braid around a mandrel instead of a flat braid. I feel like I’ve seen hobbles with this braid before. I’m curious if I will 1.) be able to combine both sides into a 16 strand (which I think is possible) and 2.) should I have some sort of core inside? I am practicing with calf lace but I’m not sure if traditional rawhide hobbles have a core of some sort. Any advice is much appreciated!

Edited by Northmount
Replaced 3rd party photo link with photo

I ended up ditching the mandrel and doing my 8 strand braid around a piece of cotton clothes line rope. Then I combined each end with a terminal Turks head. Here is my progress so far:

Braid.jpg

Edited by Northmount
Replaced 3rd party photo link with photo

@Northmount  When posting images from a smartphone, meeting the image data limit requirements (<1.46mb) is not always possible. Therefore, a third party image hosting service was used.

On the subject of thread integrity, @maaron graciously provided screen shots of their book but (because of image data limitations) it required 4 separate posts. The use of image hosting would have allowed to combine the screens into one, single post as opposed to have several consecutive posts (In return, cleaning up the thread a bit). Another solution would be to increase the image data limitations to something a little more “modern.”

Edited by howlback

@howlback There are several utilities that will compress the size of your photos so they will fit here.  Smaller file sizes also assist those that live on the fringes of the internet with very slow download speeds.

3rd party hosted photos disappear due to host changing their policies or disappearing altogether, contributors moving files, deleting files, etc.

Your cooperation is appreciated by all members of Leatherworker.net.

1 minute ago, Northmount said:

@howlback There are several utilities that will compress the size of your photos so they will fit here.  Smaller file sizes also assist those that live on the fringes of the internet with very slow download speeds.

3rd party hosted photos disappear due to host changing their policies or disappearing altogether, contributors moving files, deleting files, etc.

Your cooperation is appreciated by all members of Leatherworker.net.

Will do

Edited by Frodo