Brigeyboo

Looking at buying a machine but overwhelmed.

5 hours ago, Matt S said:

:lol::lol::lol:
Good one mate, thought you were serious for a minute! Tell us next about how farmers are fleecing us cos they are "selling stuff what grows out the ground", or car mechanics "just turning a few spanners" don't deserve to get paid. Doctors are laughing all the way to the bank cos they are "just repeating what Big Pharma pays them to sell". "Electricians shouldn't charge that much, wire isn't very expensive." And while you're at it don't forget the old "$40 for a quality belt? There's like $1 of leather in the thing. I can definitely make it for less, this guy is clearly making exorbitant amounts of money."

I also have to say, you have certainly changed your tune in a year...

No good deed goes unpunished.

To be fair to Charlie, I do give preference to our paying dealers when a machine they sell is being discussed. Those folks keep the lights on here, paying 3 to 5k a year to advertise here so you can enjoy free membership where people around the World share knowledge and expertise about leather work and industrial sewing machines. Without their support and that of our "contributing" members, this server would go dark in a relatively short time.

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

I do give preference to our paying dealers when a machine they sell is being discussed.

Yes, I've noticed that, but by the same token you are generally recommending reliable dealers to newbies who are new to the subject. Once one gains knowledge then they can make (hopefully) informed decisions and take risks in buying machines. I'm not sure that qualifies as a "vested interest".

Wiz I have to compliment you not only on your professionalism and good judgement  when it comes to sponsors, but also on the quality and quantity of great advice you’ve given out.  You definitely enjoy helping people across the board from rank novice to the veterans, and we all appreciate all you do.

All I can do is applaud you Wiz,  :clapping:

You have always been straight with your comments and guide us to people who will help us most, without leading us astray.

Yes we need our "contributing" members and with out their guidance some of us would be lost by now.

Bert.

I also agree that Wiz has done a lot of good for the forum

But one thing that I do question and not just the US machines but world wide

The sewing machine factories I assume do a test stitch into the correct garment for which they were designed for be it leather or cotton, by the factory QC departments, so my question is do the agents really take the machines out of the factory boxes and test them again and then repack to send out to the customers. Or is it just a few buyers who send in a sample piece?

The definitely dont on domestic machines

Well, my Cowboy 4500 didn't come with a test sewing piece. I bought the head unit only from an Australian distributor and it was basically shipped to me unopened, as it came from the factory. My assumption is that if it was sold as a complete unit (table, motor etc) then it would have been tested because it was already set up. I'm not complaining because they gave me a good deal so I guess they didn't want to waste any time on it.

Just my observations.

I bought my Cobra 4 from Leather Machine Company, and I was very pleased with the setup and service. When I ordered it, they asked me what size thread I intended to use primarily. They installed the correct size needle, set up the tension for the preferred thread, sewed a sample piece, and included it in my shipment. Once I got the machine, I had a couple of questions, so I picked up the phone and called them and they were very helpful. I had the machine up and running well very quickly thanks to their service. 

When I was shopping for machines, I had lots of questions. I posted them on this site, and Wiz jumped in with some very helpful advice which helped me make what I consider to be a good decision.

Being a newbie on heavy stitching machines at the time, I was very appreciative of the advice I got from Wiz and the excellent service I got from Steve at LMC. I would not have wanted to make an expensive mistake by trying to import a machine directly. If I were highly experienced in that area, I might be willing to explore direct importing, but I certainly don't consider Wizcrafts' advice to be rubbish, and I greatly appreciate the value that a reputable dealer like LMC adds to this process.

5 hours ago, chrisash said:

I also agree that Wiz has done a lot of good for the forum

But one thing that I do question and not just the US machines but world wide

The sewing machine factories I assume do a test stitch into the correct garment for which they were designed for be it leather or cotton, by the factory QC departments, so my question is do the agents really take the machines out of the factory boxes and test them again and then repack to send out to the customers. Or is it just a few buyers who send in a sample piece?

The definitely dont on domestic machines

I can't speak for other dealers BUT I would say anyone that is selling machines probably would or should check them.Many years ago when we were selling the Adler 205's everyone we tested seemed to sew good since they were tested when we got them so we just started shipping them w/o testing a maybe the 3rd one didn't sew when the customer received it so we decided quickly that machine ever goes out w/o being gone over (this means checking every nut,bolt & screw for tightness) we also check timing,tension & oil & test sew every machine & it doesn't matter what brand.