jaz5833

Multiple layers on a cylinder

Hello all,

I've been a frequent lurker but this is my first post. I work with leather, only on occasion, but I strive to get better each time. My projects have been limited to archery quivers and my past attempts have been with limited tools. Equipped with a few more tools, I'm creating my third, round back quiver. The first was several years ago and crudely adequate. On the second one, pictured here, I utilized the experience gained from the first and was very happy with the results. 

Now for the question. The body of the quiver is a 3-1/2" round cylinder with the top 5" overlaid with a decorative collar of leather. I would like to sew this collar to the main body, in the flat, but I believe this would be problematic when the main body is to then be rolled to form a cylinder. 

Anyone with experience in this?

20160412_073131_copy_600x1067.jpg

20160401_210723_copy_600x1067.jpg

20160401_210802_copy_600x1067.jpg

20160401_210923_copy_600x1067.jpg

Without a special machine, . . . I think they call it a patcher . . . it ain't gonna happen unless you have another seam behind your strap that we cannot see.

The other alternative would be (what I would do) to hand sew it.

Make a dowel that fits inside it quite nicely . . . use it to back up your punch going thru the leather . . . practice on some cheap belly leather first, till you get your procedure down.

For me it would be a 2 hour project (the stitching that is).

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Thanks Dwight, I forgot to mention that the seam, on my pictured project, is in front, but if I could sew it on in the flat, the seam would be 180 degrees from where it is now.

Then that should be a piece of cake to sew with a machine.

After you sew it . . . get the outside piece pretty damp and roll it.  That will stretch it . . . and you are good to go.

Make sure you glue them together first . . . I use only Weldwood contact cement . . . works every time.

May God bless, 

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Most of the hand stitched patterns I've used so far have been from Dieselpunk.ro (Tony See). He uses a 1.5mm hole punch together with a 1mm or a 1.2mm thread. I think this combo gives enough movement for what you need. All of his patterns are cut out and punched on the flat. Here's an example. The bottom panel is damped down and fold over.

IMG_20200505_223820__01.jpg

Hmm, this is tricky. The problem I forsee is that the collar will inevitably need to be larger than the quiver. This is due to the leathwr thickness. The collar will end up being larger by the thickness of itself and the quiver leather thickness. You might be ok using a thin leather that would stretch better. Since it is decorative, I'd recommend 2/3 oz. However, if you are to use thicker leather you'll have to figure the dimensions of the collar. 

If it were me, I would have my 3.5 inch dowel, wrap my quiver leather around it, then wrap my collar leather around that. This gives you the proper length for the collar.

For gluing, I believe you would need to glue on a curve so the quiver and  collar match up (again because the collar will be wider) then stitch. It won't be flat exactly but it won't be a complete cylinder either. 

Dwights method is far simpler, but I do feel it depends on what type and thickness leather your collar will be made from. And honestly. I would try dwights method first (on scrap) due to its ease of execution.