Is there a tutorial somewhere or can someone help me out here?
I am trying to dye some straps in Maroon and in Chestnut. I can not find either color in Fiebings. I did some testing using multiple coats of diluted Oxblood and got a sort of Maroonish color, but not a true Maroon.
The main issue is that the customer want the dye to be variegated/faded dark to washout and striated/streaked. I know of no way to do this with having to apply multiple coats of dye.
Suggestions or advise?
Thanks

I can tell you that 50/50 diluted Oxblood will give you a magenta looking color by itself. Multiple coats of straight oxblood will get darker with each application. I just put a second coat of Oxblood on an item about 20 mins ago because one coat wasn't dark enough. You *might achieve that faded look your customer wants by applying second, third, etc coats to only certain parts of the item that you want darker, while leaving the intended faded/lighter areas with just one coat or even a diluted coat, just a suggestion.

The best way I think you can achieve what you are trying to do, if I understand what you are trying to do correctly,  will involve using 2-3 separate dyes, using this technique, in series as shown/demonstrated in this video here. Hope this helps.

12 hours ago, Frodo said:

Thanks Frodo.  For some reason, eBay never crossed my mind. Probably because I've almost always bought my 4 oz bottles from the local Tandy. But they just opened here and they had maybe 7 colors of the alcohol/oil based dyes in stock. And no real idea of when more would come in.
But, it's on the way now.

https://www.ebay.com/i/372153277327?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=372153277327&targetid=4580702888518295&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=395665092&mkgroupid=1233652256105976&rlsatarget=pla-4580702888518295&abcId=1129776&merchantid=51291&msclkid=f0f2bef84daa1a3754dbe0011fc0f79a

11 hours ago, ScottWolf said:

I can tell you that 50/50 diluted Oxblood will give you a magenta looking color by itself. Multiple coats of straight oxblood will get darker with each application. I just put a second coat of Oxblood on an item about 20 mins ago because one coat wasn't dark enough. You *might achieve that faded look your customer wants by applying second, third, etc coats to only certain parts of the item that you want darker, while leaving the intended faded/lighter areas with just one coat or even a diluted coat, just a suggestion.

The best way I think you can achieve what you are trying to do, if I understand what you are trying to do correctly,  will involve using 2-3 separate dyes, using this technique, in series as shown/demonstrated in this video here. Hope this helps.

Thanks.  I've used this technique and love the look.  But in this case, it's a linear, streaky, splotchy, fade from medium green to a washed out, almost natural with a tinge of leather. Same with the Maroon/Chestnut combo (2 products). The green is not really the issue.
The Maroon was. But Frodo pointed out eBay and I've got some coming. The chestnut, they may just have to live with a saddle tan or other shade. This customer is having me try to match colors off pictures she's seen online. I've already explained the facts of leather life to her. She's pretty flexible and she's a consistent customer as she orders large numbers of another product every couple of months. So, I'm willing to go the extra mile for her.
Ahh, the life of a leathercrafter.

12 hours ago, Frodo said:

I got an email notice of your post wit some mix info. Did you delete it or did the forum have a memory loss <g>? I was going to ask if you had a basic idea of ratios for a starting point?

If you put together a spray gun you can blend the color into the strap and darken it gradually. There is a compressed air sprayer from Preval that attaches to a 6 ounce glass dye bottle. I bought mine from Home Depot for about $5.00. They work okay with alcohol based dyes like we use in leather work. They aren't so good with thicker acrylic or latex paint. Keep it thin and it should spray controllably.

Tandy also sells these sprayers.

Thanks Wiz. I do have an airbrush that I can do gradual fades with.. If I can find it.
I remembered block dye technique which actually worked better for the streaked, ragged appearance she wanted.
But, my original question had to do with mixing colors of dye to get a different color. As in red and yellow make orange, type of mixing.
I found the dye online though I still need to find time to experiment with color mixing.

When I mix dyes, I use a plastic disposable pipet and put some of one dye into a paint pallette, and then add some of the other color, swirl a bit, and grab my wool dauber to test it out. I was able to get a nice kelly green using some yellow and blue eco-flo dyes mixed together. You could do the same with red and yellow to get orange. Not sure if this is the type of mixing you were thinking of. The disposable pipets are really cheap, you can get them on Amazon. I have 3mL, which seems to be a nice size for what I use it for.

I am looking to create an avocado color for a custom bag I am making. What colors would you recommend? I was thinking of thinning out a green, and then slowly add a thinned out yellow, and maybe a drop of brown?

I’d love to get some feedback. 

I think start with yellow about 4 parts then green about1.5 parts the one drop of black. Hope that helps .

Sorry my friend just mixed it to be sure it's around ten parts yellow to 4 parts green 1/2 drop black this mix gives a nice avocado green wow nice color.

On 3/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, justgetmeoutside said:

I am looking to create an avocado color for a custom bag I am making. What colors would you recommend? I was thinking of thinning out a green, and then slowly add a thinned out yellow, and maybe a drop of brown?

I’d love to get some feedback. 

Hope that mix works good for you it looks great here.