Matt S

Die cutting lightweight fabric

Hi guys and gals,

When die-cutting lightweight fabric (nylon or cotton) for wallet linings etc, what's the secret? I haven't had much success with my usual dies (which are pretty sharp and no nicks) and a smooth cutting board (LDPE I think). I realise that thinner fabrics are trickier to cut cleanly than leather but I just can't get a clean cut and in frustration I end up pushing the die too far into the board. I guess I could follow the die with a blade or a hot knife but that kinda defeats the speed of using dies.

Besides ensuring no nicks, possibly even polishing the dies, or finding a different/new cutting surface, can you stack the fabric so as to cut 5-20 layers in one swoop?  

My experience (limited) with that approach left me with ten good ones and one or two that required some touch-up.

Edited by johnv474

On 6/29/2020 at 1:36 PM, Matt S said:

Hi guys and gals,

When die-cutting lightweight fabric (nylon or cotton) for wallet linings etc, what's the secret? I haven't had much success with my usual dies (which are pretty sharp and no nicks) and a smooth cutting board (LDPE I think). I realise that thinner fabrics are trickier to cut cleanly than leather but I just can't get a clean cut and in frustration I end up pushing the die too far into the board. I guess I could follow the die with a blade or a hot knife but that kinda defeats the speed of using dies.

You would need a harder shore cutting board and sharp dies.

Your fabric's skating around. Might be worth using masking tape and pins around the edges, and/or sprayfix.

Enhancing that last, you might even rough-cut the leather, mount the lining, and die-cut them both together.If there's areas you dont't want the fabric glued, mask with cooking parchment.

Edited by Rahere

On 6/29/2020 at 12:36 PM, Matt S said:

Hi guys and gals,

Hey Matt.

Did you solve your problem? Leaving aside cotton have you considered heating the knofe for nylon?

I use a hot wire and a variable power supply for dense foam. A tiny gap in the knife and a dc supply might do it. Even a car battery will work for a wire. Don't know about rule steel though. Same principle they use for cutting nylon rope. Paul

What @Trox said is correct. To add to that when I cut fabric I very often tripoli polish around the outer edge of the knife before starting a run. Also using a fabric that does not fray along the edge helps as well. I get in a special fabric from Tabru in Italy that does this job very well. Cutting through multiple pieces can help as well. If your board is getting too rough try putting some stiff paper under the fabric first.